Is an egg for us? Any opinions from you folks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Cindy,

I think our Bigfoot is 8 feet wide, and as I mentioned earlier is quite a bit heavier than some of the other eggs. When the trailer was a lot less full than she is today she weighed 3000 pounds at a truck scale. We like the Casita and other eggs, but as we are living full time in this trailer we opted for interior space and windows over weight and aerodynamics. That said, pulling her with a 5-cylinder Dodge Sprinter through mountainous terrain we got 20-21 mpg of diesel. The van gets 24-25 mpg without the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	14785
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
About restoring our older trailer, no we are ready for more luxuries I think. This old dude has no insulation, is about as non-aerodynamic as it could be, has no shower, sways all over the place (though I guess that could be remedied) etc etc. It seems most of the screws holding things in place no longer tighten, the floor is feeling somewhat soft in one place.... So, who wants to buy it when we get our new one? Actually, it may end up being donated to a victim of this fire if we get a different one. It's bad around here right now. The fire seems worse every day. If I get a chance I'll try to post a photo of it since we've talked about it. No, we are ready for something more practical and newer. I will save that fellow's name though that restores. He sounds like a great contact.

To the Bigfoot owners, I can see why you'd go for a little bigger and heavier for more space. Besides living in the VW bus for 1 1/2 years I also lived quite some time in a cabover camper on a Nissan pickup. That was luxury plus to be able to stand up! I admire people who live in their RV's. Those days are gone for me as long as I have horses though. Plus, I like being in one spot now. But I totally relate to people who do that full-time.
CindyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Cindy, I asked myself if a fiberglass/egg was for us when trying to decide what to buy a few short months ago. All I can say is look at all the brands, read and get as much info as you can about them. This site is the best I have found. Great info! Truely only you can answer the question. For us, it was a travel trailer that I could handle and feel comfortable towing and setting up by myself yet it had to have air and a bathroom. But since I am not versed in towing, I wanted something that was small enough that I could set up and tear down on my own. I can tell you that buying the first one (long story, bought 2 within a few weeks of eachother) Gee can you tell I fell in Love with fiberglass travel trailers? Personally, I think I would like any fiberglass travel trailer. But my two purchases are Casitas. And are currently on our first adventure in our 2007 Casita in Montana.

As far as storage.............................. I am awful at downsizing! So we are a little squished with all the stuff I brought thinking we would need, I can tell you that next trip won't be like this. I have learned one thing, with a Casita's your dry storage is limited. The fridge is huge! Coming from a 32 foot Class A I will have to learn not to take everything I could take on trips in it. It's just learning what you really need for each trip Thank goodness for the truck on this trip. I should have known better, but you always think you might need this or that. So, again only you can answer your question, but I can honestly say We love our Casita. Currently in a rv park in Montana with a lot of Motor Coaches so we look kinda funny sitting here next to these big 45 footers............... And though our trip here was not without issues (Blow out, trailer tire in the middle of no-where Wy) But it worked out and we were back on the road the next day, we have enjoyed traveling in our 17 footer just as much as when we had our Class A. Happy Egg hunting! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Could you recommend where we would find these solar panels? Thanks again.
Link to my previous Solar Panel Post
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
. . . We usually camp where there are no hook-ups . . . the only drain on the battery is the lights and we've never had a problem with a low battery . . . looking at these newer trailers, like the one today, the battery is used for a fan on the heater, a pump for water as well as the lights . . . With this extra load on the battery will we be able to leave the trailer sit for several nights without a recharge? . . . I'm sure this partly depends on how much the heater is used, but is the fan on a heater much of a draw? I guess we could have a catalytic heater put in but that seems a shame to mess up the standard set-up. Plus there still is the water pump issue.
When they're new, the average deep-cycle battery has 30-40 amp-hours. Having a 30 amp-hour battery means you can run a one-amp appliance for 30-40 hours before the battery is depleted. A standard 1156 light bulb draws 1-1/2 amps, so it can run for 20 hours on 30 amp-hours of electricity.

The Scamp furnace draws 2.7 amps when it's running, so if you turned it all the way up you could draw the battery all the way down in 11 hours. In real life it would take day or two if you left the heater turned up and it was cold outside. More realistically, if you use the heater judiciously and convert your lights (or at least the lights you use most) to LEDs you should be able to drop your energy consumption to 10 amp-hours of electricity per day, less if you're really careful about things. That means a single battery charge should give you three days of camping without having to re-charge it. If you want to camp longer, a single 50-watt solar panel (I have a Shell SM50 panel permanently mounted on our roof) parked in a non-shady location will produce 10 amp hours or more of charge during the spring, summer, and fall months . . . which means your boondocking would more likely be limited by the amount of water and propane you carry.

Oh, and as for the water pump: Yes, it draws a lot of amps, but only runs for a few minutes a day. That means it's not really much of an issue when it comes to drawing the battery down.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita
As far as the water pump, can't you put in one of those hand pump types as well? That would save you a little bit of your power. Good Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #27

Hello everyone who was so kind to give us input. I thought I'd let you know how the tt search is going. We've now seen each type of Casita and 2 Scamps. No other makes have been close enough. I actually looked at one Casita today that was for sale but it wasn't right for us (even though I was lucky enough to be the first and could have bought it) So far we've decided that a 17ft Casita Spirit Deluxe would work well. I don't think we'll get a Scamp. The fifth wheel might work but we don't want a 5th wheel. I'd still like to see a bit older Bigfoot or Escape but nothing nearby thus far. One thing I've learned is that I don't want to drive across the country to see one and have it not work out. So we'll just have to keep looking. That Spirit in Tuscon sounds really great but it's a 12 hour drive one way. We just can't swing that right now. So, onward!!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #28

Well, we are doing it! After a 5 hour drive (round trip) to look at a 3 year old egg that in 3 minutes I knew we didn't want we made a decision. Old dogs can learn. I spent almost 2 years with a friend shopping for his last horse. We would drive several hours and then within 1 minute see a very obvious reason the animal was for sale and was unacceptable. In trying to not have to travel out of state he ended up spending tons of time and money on wild goose chases. I looked at 2 eggs the other day, one for sale and one not. Both were 3 years old. Neither was in the kind of condition I would expect for such a new trailer. So we were drawn back to the ad on here of the one in Tucson. We know 2 people in the entire state of AZ. They live no where near Tucson. I e-mailed the gal (it's a couple we know) asking if she knew anybody in Tucson and got a reply back in a couple hours that said, "call me-we are travelling and happen to be in Tucson and can look at it for you." So, how likely is that? (they did and it is as advertised) So, this weekend we go to Tucson to pick up our 2002 Casita Spirit. We don't have vacation time so it will be gruelling. But we are very excited. The next step will be to reread all the useful info on here about changes we might wish to make.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
CONGRATS!!!

A bounce trip - down and back - is always a bugger... but you get to drag your new toy home! How sweet is THAT?

Just curious...What part of Calif you guys from? Michele and I are in Galt, 25 miles +/- south of Sacto. Her sis and brother in law live in Salida and church in Manteca.

NOW you have to name her (him? it?)

Safe journey!

Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #30

Hi Alan, Sure, I know where Galt is. (from horse stuff-went to a clinic there). We are in Mariposa, near Yosemite. You probably have heard of our area recently with the Telegraph Fire. We made world news, literally. So you are getting a Scamp 5th wheel? We haven't seen one of those but I think we would like the size. We just don't want to set up for a 5th wheel. That is exciting. So, who wants to buy the 1968 Scottsman? Ha. Actually, somebody might still get some enjoyment out of it.
Cindy
PS: yes-maybe the project on the drive home will be naming it. I guess we'll need to get to know him/her a little first. Being products of the 60's the Eggman/Walrus Beatle's song has come to mind. Coo coo ca choo (sp?)

Tags
eggcamper