Questions about an EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp

Hello everyone! I am new to this group, but have been reading along for your expertise and find you are a wealth of information (and a very friendly group!) I am looking to buy a 13-17 foot 'glass-rv (you all have me convinced!) This unit LOOKS nice, but I am a natural skeptic.

Does anyone here have an egg-camper? What would be a reasonable price for this unit? I am not in the OK area so would be considering buying based on pics and info...anyone near there?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Crystal
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
All the descriptions of the Eggcamper that I remember reading were positive. One benefit of the Eggcamper is that it is one of those to choose if there is a tall member of your family.
That being said, as I have said before, when it comes to fiberglass trailers, don't hesitate or question unless it looks like a piece of junk (although there are many stories of people who took the junk and turned it into treasure). We considered our UHaul for 10 minutes after we found someone asking about it on this web site. There was a buy it now on ebay and 10 minutes later, we bought it.

If you find someone who can look at the trailer (or can drive there yourself) and the price is right, don't hesitate long or it will be gone.

CindyL
Old 01-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
All the descriptions of the Eggcamper that I remember reading were positive. One benefit of the Eggcamper is that it is one of those to choose if there is a tall member of your family.
That being said, as I have said before, when it comes to fiberglass trailers, don't hesitate or question unless it looks like a piece of junk (although there are many stories of people who took the junk and turned it into treasure). We considered our UHaul for 10 minutes after we found someone asking about it on this web site. There was a buy it now on ebay and 10 minutes later, we bought it.

If you find someone who can look at the trailer (or can drive there yourself) and the price is right, don't hesitate long or it will be gone.

CindyL

Thank you, Cindy! I appreciate the help. I am also wondering about the number that this camper "sleeps". It looks like this has one double and one single, but the add says that it sleeps four. Strange...

Thanks again!
Crystal
Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Crystal, I split this from the Referrals. I think you're going to get more answers to your questions, than in the For Sale ads.

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Registry
I know that there are different variations of designs. Check this one out in the albums: http://album.fiberglassrv.com/gallery2/mai...?g2_itemId=1940.

Our 16' UHaul sleeps 4 by having a full bed in the back, made up from the back dinette and makes into a bunkbed with the front dinette and the cot that can be hung above it. This is a common design even for the 13' trailers.

CindyL
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We have a small rv dealer down the street from me here in Sarasota that likes to get these fiberglass jobs to sell. He had one of these on the lot for a year or so and the same year (2006) as this one on ebay. I stopped and spent about 30 minutes looking at it and wrote up what I found on this forum. I would not pay the price of a Casita or Scamp for this eggcamper BUT if I didn't own anything and was looking for any egg I would jump on this in a hurry for what they are asking. That being said there are some cons to it and I'll list as many as I can remember.

Small refridg with very small freezer, not much storage, very thin cushions, but withfull time mattress??? interior was rather sanitized with too much fiberglass, but with mods??? rear dinette table too small and uncomfortable to sit at, bigger table?????? would need extention mirrors on tow vehicle as its about 6" wider than Casita, benches sat too low, thicker cushions?

The pro's, Open feeling inside, none of the cons with the exception of the fridg are bad enough to make a deal breaker. One of the things thats nice is the A/C is a room A/C and can be replaced for $100.00 bucks or so as opposed to a 800.00 for an RV job. There are a lot of good features on this thing its just a matter of getting used to them. If you have 9 grand and your looking go for it if your convinced its not damaged and it doesn't seem to be. I don't remember what the price was for a new one but it was in the $15000.00 range.

Click here for more info: EggCamper made in Michigan, love to hear about yours and satisfaction with it

Do a search on this forum too.

After reading some of the reviews just now someone said the seats were too high so maybe I'm loosing it. Here is my original post on it about 18 months ago

I just took a tour through one of these jobs this afternoon and it was quite a surprise. We own a 1999 Casita that we've had for 4 yrs and absolutely love it. I've seen the eggcamper on 3 of the fiberglass forums and was somewhat intrigued. Seeing a real one up close and personal was a treat and I was quite surprised at the quality. The first thing I noticed was the spaciousness inside with its aisle width and being being 88 inches wide against the 78 inches of my Casita. You would probably need extension mirrors even with a full size vehicle. This trailer would be a mod makers dream it has a lot of open storage space thats just begging for shelves etc. It does need thicker pads on the benches and the seats sit high in the bed position. The bath needs a door, the fridge was about the size of the Casita 16'. Although it seems to have the same exterior door that the Casita 17' has there was no screen door on it. The A/C is mounted on the front side of the body and exits under the front dinette seat. The outside appearance gives a very neat look with there being no pop rivets on the surface and the 2 halves joined together similar to the Burro camper, its about the same price as a Casita without being a Casita. Would I buy one???, I'm not ready to give up my Casita as yet
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Crystal, unlike Bill, I've not seen an EggCamper in person. I have spoken with Jim Palmer on a couple of occasions when he was contemplating building his first prototype. He's the owner of EggCamper and builder of the trailers. He based the design on the original Burro 17' widebody, but improved on all of the shortcomings of the Burro. If I were looking for a 17' widebody trailer today, I'd probably have an EggCamper.

The EggCamper on eBay appears to be an all-electric model. New EggCampers start around $14,000 (IIRC), so $9k is reasonable.

Here's the company website: EggCamper.com I'm reasonably sure that if you have questions about the EggCamper, you could give Jim a call and he'd help you out.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Crystal, unlike Bill, I've not seen an EggCamper in person. I have spoken with Jim Palmer on a couple of occasions when he was contemplating building his first prototype. He's the owner of EggCamper and builder of the trailers. He based the design on the original Burro 17' widebody, but improved on all of the shortcomings of the Burro. If I were looking for a 17' widebody trailer today, I'd probably have an EggCamper.

The EggCamper on eBay appears to be an all-electric model. New EggCampers start around $14,000 (IIRC), so $9k is reasonable.

Here's the company website: EggCamper.com I'm reasonably sure that if you have questions about the EggCamper, you could give Jim a call and he'd help you out.

Roger

Thank you everyone! You have been very helpful.

Sincerely,
Crystal
Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Crystal,

We are the very happy owners of an EggCamper (2007), and just love it. Their are some small changes from the one shown, but basically the same. It is an all electric unit. The price looks like a great deal. New, the model shown, would probably be $16,000.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I'm one who felt that the seats are a bit high, for my legs anyway (I'm 5'8"). And the cushions are pretty thin. But that isn't the end of the world. It's a nice trailer. If no one else buys it I might talk the DW into letting me have it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Quote:
Hello everyone! I am new to this group, but have been reading along for your expertise and find you are a wealth of information (and a very friendly group!) I am looking to buy a 13-17 foot 'glass-rv (you all have me convinced!) This unit LOOKS nice, but I am a natural skeptic.

Does anyone here have an egg-camper? What would be a reasonable price for this unit? I am not in the OK area so would be considering buying based on pics and info...anyone near there?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Crystal
Hello Crystal,
I am in East Texas, about four or five hours from this EggCamper. I have one I bought brand new a year ago as a Kit and done the finish up work myelf. I can assure you, that if this is the type of trailer you are looking for, it is well worth the asking price. These go for twelve to fifteen grand fully ready to go. I drove all the way to Michigan for mine and still finished it up here. This one is ready to go, it appears. This one has the floorplan that turns into one large full size or so bed. Then another person can sleep on the bed that results from dropping down the dinner table. Another 4th person could sleep on a cot I guess. I plan on using mine with 2 grandkids some and that will mean 4 at times,.... That is the only way I see 4 sleeping in it, unless one is a child on the big bed with 2 adults. This is a very roomy and tall trailer. I am 6'2'' tall and have maybe 7 inches still over my head.
I would have bought this one in a second if I did not have mine already. If I can be of further assistance let me know. There are other EggCamper owners on here,... !
There is needed additional padding for sleeping, as the pads are thin, but comfortable, but for sleeping I add a foam mattress at night. This is a wide trailer too. Weldon
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello Crystal,
I am in East Texas, about four or five hours from this EggCamper. I have one I bought brand new a year ago as a Kit and done the finish up work myelf. I can assure you, that if this is the type of trailer you are looking for, it is well worth the asking price. These go for twelve to fifteen grand fully ready to go. I drove all the way to Michigan for mine and still finished it up here. This one is ready to go, it appears. This one has the floorplan that turns into one large full size or so bed. Then another person can sleep on the bed that results from dropping down the dinner table. Another 4th person could sleep on a cot I guess. I plan on using mine with 2 grandkids some and that will mean 4 at times,.... That is the only way I see 4 sleeping in it, unless one is a child on the big bed with 2 adults. This is a very roomy and tall trailer. I am 6'2'' tall and have maybe 7 inches still over my head.
I would have bought this one in a second if I did not have mine already. If I can be of further assistance let me know. There are other EggCamper owners on here,... !
There is needed additional padding for sleeping, as the pads are thin, but comfortable, but for sleeping I add a foam mattress at night. This is a wide trailer too. Weldon
Thank you very much, Weldon. I really like the look of this trailer and I think that I would like an EggCamper, but I have 2 children and think that I really need something to sleep 4. When this was originally listed on Ebay it said it slept 4 in the ad. They have changed the listing now to "sleeps 2". If there was an easy way to comfortably modify to sleep 4 I would really consider this, but otherwise I might have to go for a Scamp or Casita.

Thanks again to ALL of you for your help.

Smiles,
Crystal

Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Hi Crystal

I have a 2007 EggCamper and am very satisfied with it. I purchased an empty egg and built it out myself so it is equipped a bit differently than the one you are looking at.

As others have mentioned, the one on e-bay is an electric egg so there is no propane to deal with but that does mean there are some issues you have to deal with.

First - There is no heater. Depending on where you camp that can be a problem. You can use an electric space heater but that will not keep you warm if the temps are below about 30F. Of course if you only camp in the summer that might not be a problem.

Second - The refrigerator is a Norcold DC-0040, a 12V DC only model with a compressor, not an ammonia cycle system. Others have already noted that it isn't very large but I've found that size to be fine for the wife and me. I must note that I installed a 3-way refrigerator in my EggCamper, not the Norcold that Jim installs at the factory.

Third - If you want to camp "off grid" (i.e. boondocking) you will probably want to consider a small generator to power things. The microwave and A/C won't work on 12V. My recommendation would be a Honda 2KW inverter type. It also looks like there is no method other than the microwave to cook your meals. A small portable propane stove would be a good addition.

Fourth - The pictures show what looks like mountings for an awning but there is no mention of an awning included with it. Maybe all you get is the mounting brackets.

Based on the VIN this unit was made in late 2006. Also, the 2,000 pound weight is about right for an electric egg of that vintage. GVWR for a 2006 is 2,700 pounds and curb weight is usually about 1,750 to 1,800 with a full water tank. The stock fresh water tank is 14 gallon.

I noticed that someone else mentioned that the EggCamper doesn't have a screen door. This one does. A few of the earliest units did not.

Overall, if I didn't already have an EggCamper I would be heading to Oklahoma to buy that one. I think it's a good deal at that price . Of course I'd already have the sawzall ready to do some modifications and upgrades.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #14

Registry
I like a fiberglass interior like we have on our UHaul. Just wipe it down. And I found some suction bathroom things at Bed Bath and Beyond for hanging things on the wall. They work well. I have towel racks in the bathroom, the bathroom mirror is suction, and a few other things.

CindyL
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Hi Crystal,

We have a 2007 EggCamper. We're very happy with it. It tows easily behind our 2002 Toyota Sienna (3.0 liter v6). We have the electric model with the permanent bed (not the dinette model). About the only thing we cook inside is coffee and warm up left-overs in the micorwave. Everything else is under the awning. We added a small honda 2kw generator for off-grid and that works fine. Ours has a built-in space heater, but we haven't been out in temperatures much below 35F. It does the job for most situations.

The frig in the e-bay model is smaller than ours. It looks like the left wall is angled. The interior is small on ours, but the walls are straight, and we don't have a problem for space in it. Aside from that, there's plenty of storage in ours, with two closets and space under the benches.

If you do a search, you'll find more info on this forum about my egg and others.

Good luck.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft
Orlen:

We too have a 2007 Eggcamper and love it! Unfortunately, we have a small Norcold fridge that has a slant on the side....(just like in the ad), and it doesn't hold very much. Before we start on our travels this year we would like to buy a larger one. What are the dimensions of the refrigerator you installed in your egg?

Bill
BillPatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #17

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Orlen:

We too have a 2007 Eggcamper and love it! Unfortunately, we have a small Norcold fridge that has a slant on the side....(just like in the add), and it doesn't hold very much. Before we start on our travels this year we would like to buy a larger one. What are the dimensions of the refrigerator you installed in your egg?

Bill
Hi Bill

I installed a Dometic 3-way model RM2193. It has no more capacity than the Norcold you already have (maybe a couple more tenths of a cf). I used the RM2193 because I had one on hand and I needed propane operation for boondocking. The manual for the RM2193 is available on the web and includes installation instructions. One thing to remember is that you will have to construct a sealed compartment to install a 3-way since it would be connected to propane.

BTW - The Norcold DC0040 only draws about a quarter of the amperage of the RM2193 so it will make a lot smaller dent in your power budget.

I would suggest that you just get a 12V portable chest cooler for the supply "overflow". It will be a lot simpler solution.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft
Thanks for the information, Orlen.
BillPatB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper