baby moon hubcaps for our 1973 Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
baby moon hubcaps for our 1973 Trillium 1300

Hi! Just about done body off resto of our 1973 Trillium 1300.....if I could attach pics I would! My question is: I just put new tires on trailer (175/13's) but am wondering how do I know if the rims are original? and then, what size hubcaps would fit it? I took the rims to a local tire install company and they were measured to be somewhere's around 8.5 to 9" where the hubcaps would fit i.e. either inside or outside the center cap area but sadly, the installer did not have anything that would fit via their suppliers? HELP?

Thanks and have a great day!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
We're all dying to see your pics. Just click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the Quick Reply window, and then the usual paper click icon.

Walt
Old 05-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try hubcapmike.com
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusB View Post
I took the rims to a local tire install company and they were measured to be somewhere's around 8.5 to 9" where the hubcaps would fit i.e. either inside or outside the center cap area

The big problem is trying to get an accurate measurement. I tried using a tape measure for the measurements posted below. I'd suggest finding someone with a brake drum gauge (tool) to measure it for you. Something like this: Brake Resetting Gauge (princessauto.com)

Assuming that my wheels were original, there are 4 knobs projecting outwards from the raised circle outside of the wheel lugs. I measured them at ~9-3/8" from outside edge to outside edge.

I measured the inner lip on the baby moons that were on the wheels and found it to be 9-1/8". Which might explain why they were so hard to get on and off. It also explains the damage to the moons from people putting them on.

I just bought replacement Dexstar / Kenda powder coated wheels from etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...r/AM20214.html
They have 3 knobs projecting outwards. It is hard to get an accurate measurement on those with just a tape, but I guesstimated them to be ~8.25 inches.

Using the formula to find the diameter of a circle from 3 points of a triangle on the circumference. The triangle is equilateral so the angle is 60 degrees. "A" is the distance between 2 points opposite the angle.

Diameter = a/sineA = 8.25/sin60 = 9.5"
(Which makes me think my measurement was off)

etrailer sells a baby moon that is supposed to fit the Dexstar wheels. They just came back into stock. I am expecting them to come in this week.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Cover...a/AM90086.html

If you look at the images on that page, one shows the inner lip of the baby moon to be 9-1/4". That is 1/8" wider than my existing baby moons. That should make it easier to get them on to what I think are the original wheels.

Once they are in, I will be able to try to fit them on both the "original" and new wheels and report back.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
OK, the baby moons came in. I got the Americana 90086 from etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Cover...a/AM90086.html

Which is a chrome plated baby moon.

I checked it on what I think is the original wheels and it goes on a little easier than the baby moons that were on it. There is a little play in it, once on but it takes some effort to get it off. A little weather stripping on the underside of the nobs would definitely fix that

It fits the Dexstar /Kenda wheel nicely without that little bit of play and takes a little effort to get it off. I feel it came off a little easier than the original because there are only 3 nubs vs 4 on the original wheel.

The reviews on etrailer say they are prone to rusting. When I looked on the inside there is a sticker that says 16700 Made in Taiwan.

Doing a little searching for that number and baby moon it brought up a company called American Chrome that does parts for big trucks. And they have baby moons with what appears to be similar specs.
https://www.americanchrome.com/trailer-hub-cap.html

Of note from the link above, American Chrome also has a Stainless Steel baby moon. The part numbers are based on the packaging. Chrome vs SS and bulk vs blister pack. You should be able to get them from anybody that carries parts and accessories for tractor trailers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	American Chrome baby moons.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	146706

Pricing seems to be similar to what etrailer charged me. I find one company (FinditParts) out of California that carries both. I have no idea if they are legit or not as this is the first I heard of them.
https://www.finditparts.com/products...-chrome-c16703

If I were to purchase again, I'd hunt down the Stainless Steel rather than worry about polishing to keep them from rusting.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium