Rooftop AC on Eggcamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Rooftop AC on Eggcamper

I know this has been done at least once, and I was thinking about changing our AC....the person who did it said the roof was reinforced so that’s a good thing - I asked how it was done but didn’t get a reply, so I was curious.

I decided to write Jim Palmer (this was in June), and thought others might benefit from his reply...

Good morning Jim,
I own a 2011 Eggcamper, Hull #106, which I love!
Would the roof support the addition of a roof air conditioner?

Would very much appreciate any advice you can offer!
With thanks,

Letitia

no the roof was not designed to carry any additional load
Jim

Just passing along for anyone interested.....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Thanks Leticia for sharing Jim's response. I will be sure to report on Rooftop AC operation and post pictures that may shed light re: install support.

Perhaps G.C. will re-post here re: his air chute for the floor AC that - in combination with a vent fan upgrade - made his system work well enough for Southern climate. Definitely on board with doing the simple fix first. Cutting the rib is risky.

Sandy
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
FWIW, Scamp is the same way. If the roof hasnt been "prepped" from the factory, it's not wise to install an A/C up there. The fiberglass is alot thicker on the roof in the area where the A/C is mounted. As a personal opinion for anyone reading this that may be purchasing a new trailer; I have the roof-mount A/C and would not be without it. It doesnt take up ANY interior space (like the closet-methods do) and I dont have to man-handle it installing it in a window at campgrounds.

So, for adding a roof-mount A/C, you can add "ribs" at the interior's top, but I HIGHLY suggest you'd hire a professional that could fit the "curvature" of the trailer as I would not be confident unless they ran the FULL width of the interior of the trailer. And only then would I agree with this if it was attached to the sides via "posts".

Now with that said, most of the time, this will have to be installed with more holes through the roof/trailer sides. There may be other ways. I agree with others and go an alternative route:

1) Floor A/C but adequate ventilation is CRITICAL for the exterior of the A/C or it will be SHORT-lived.

2) Quick-Remove window A/C. My Scamp has a large back window that is perfect for this if I needed it. I would NOT run it down the road though with the A/C installed in the window because of the bounce. You can get $150 window A/C's that will cool that trailer fine.

3) Split Unit. I've seen mods where they mount part of it on the tongue of the trailer and of course you have the interior portion. Someone on this group has done that. Personally, this is overkill for a small FG trailer and also EXPENSIVE.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper