EggCamper gets butt lift - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
EggCamper gets butt lift

Tired of dragging my ...

Dexter lift kit for added 3" installed on weekend. While in shop found a blown grease seal that had soiled a brake pad. So a little more work and money but I feel safer now.

Before/After
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4536.jpg   IMG_4544.JPG  

Old 11-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks for the follow up

Thanks for the follow up
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
That first photo had me worried with old
Glory mounted on the roof, clearance was already a problem. Then I saw the second picture��
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
That first photo had me worried with old
Glory mounted on the roof, clearance was already a problem. Then I saw the second picture��
Funny thing is with one hole in roof I could mount flagpole in place of dinette pedestal in that very spot. Instead, a PVC flagpole is on my craft project list for the patio.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: Brian & Mary
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Disc brakes?

You mentioned that a brake pad was soaked with grease. Do you have disc brakes on the egg?
Brian n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #6

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian n Mary View Post
You mentioned that a brake pad was soaked with grease. Do you have disc brakes on the egg?
Not one to pass up a chance to learn more about the EggCamper mechanics I did more research. The EggCamper has electric brakes - not disc brakes - so probably more accurate for me to say axle grease got inside the electric brake assembly and on the brake shoe.

Had it not been for the axle seal leak the brake would have been ok. But I'm at the start of my steep learning curve as a newbie - so welcome additional comments on this matter. Very lucky one of the best trailer shops in the state is near my house - in addition to trustworthy work they take the time to educate me.

The axle seal may have been blown at time of purchase - and using an RV inspector would have been good in hindsight.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #7

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
You can buy entire new brake assemblies for about the same price as new shoes alone.

In the first picture the trailer looks exceptionally low. Lift kit is not a substitute for replacing a torsion axle that the elastomer/rubber in side of it has collapsed and deteriorated.
Supposedly you can tell if the elastomer is still good by measuring the height of the trailer off the center of the wheel, and then jacking off the ground and seeing how much the wheel drops. I seem to recall that the Airstream folks say that if the wheel drops more than about two or two and a half inches (difference between compressed and released), the rubber in the axle has failed.

I do not claim to be an expert on this, just repeating what I have read several times in different posts/threads.

Charles
Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #8

Florida
Registry
Thanks Charles for this information. I will ask at trailer shop. Pretty sure axle is intact. EggCamper design is low from what I’ve seen and putting lift on is common.
Sandy

Tags
eggcamper