Hi! I am Barbara and I just got a 1974 Perris Pacer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Perris Pacer
California
Hi! I am Barbara and I just got a 1974 Perris Pacer

My parents bought this about 3 years ago with the intention of customizing, but health issues came up and it has been stored on their property since 2012.
I would like to have a caring mechanic give it a once-over for safety, camp in it a few times, then sell it to someone that will love and use it well.
We are located just North of San Francisco, in Marin County and I would appreciate any recommendations for a mechanic that specializes in fiberglass RV's and any thoughts on valuation.
Thanks!
Bbbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Unless you want to keep it for a while, you might be better off just doing a cosmetic clean-up and selling it now. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Tow vehicle prep. You didn't mention what you would be towing with, but if it's not already set up to tow, figure at least $200-$250 for a hitch and trailer lights wiring.
2. While there really aren't many mechanics that specialize in FGRV's there are a number of RV dealers in your area that can check out you rig and give you all the bad news about what needs fixing. Figure another $100+ for the inspection. Needed repairs and updating can add substantially to this number, especially on a 40 y.o. trailer at an RV dealership.
3. As it sounds like it has been around for a while, tires over 6 years old will need replacement, another $150.
4. The buying season for FGRV's is just getting under way and an ad in any bay area Craig's list will produce callers within a few minutes. FGRV's are HOT in your area and sell high and fast. If you wait until after Burning Man time, prices will fall again.

About value???? Besides your +++ location, it all depends on condition, condition and condition. I have seen "Project" Pacers sell for as little as $2000 and restored Turnkey units as high as $7500. If is in average condition, without needing obvious major repairs, $5500/offer might be a good starting point, some may try starting higher, and you can always come down if there are no bites..... Selling it to the first buyer at your asking price often brings on the dreaded "Sellers Remorse" syndrome.

BTW: Old, Rare, Classic, etc. might be terms that help it sell, but are not plus factors in pricing.
Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi! I am Barnara and I just got a 1974 Perris Pacer

Welcome, Barbara! You are in an enviable place, to have one of these land in your lap. I love the large street side window in the Perris Pacer.

Value of vintage fiberglass trailers is mostly about condition. Location is also a factor, and units in the Bay Area typically command a premium (actually almost everything in the Bay Area commands a premium...). You can review the classified ads and archives both here and at fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to get a feeling for prices. Perris Pacers are less common, but should be similar in value to other Boler-type trailers of that vintage.

As to inspecting the trailer, you can examine the shell yourself for damage. Everything else is standard RV issue, so any competent RV repair shop can handle it. In addition to checking out all the appliances, electrical, water, and LP systems, you'll want to inspect the frame carefully for cracks and deep rust, check the floor for rot, and do a leak test of windows and hatches with a garden hose sprayer. And of course, make sure the running gear- tires, axle, bearings- are in good shape.

In the document center (in the "More" tab at the top) there is a helpful "Buyers Checklist" that will help you make sure you cover all the bases.

We'd love to see some pictures of your trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

California
Thank you for the helpful replies! It is in pretty remarkable cosmetic condition and is already getting some admiring looks in our neighborhood. I will try to post some pics if I can figure out how!

We towed it about 100 miles with our SUV and had no problems, but I would really like someone to take a close look at the frame for rust, etc. my Dad said something about re-packing the bearings? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Barbara
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Repacking Bearings? YES.... That and tire aging are the two big areas on the chassis that you have to watch. Just today I pulled the bearings on a camping trailer I am rebuilding and what was in there looked more like road tar than lubricant, one of the grease seals was leaking into the brakes and two of the bearings showed signs of being burned.

To be honest, unless there were service records in place, I would not have towed it 100 miles without a bearing inspection and a tire date check.

I bought my Hunter over in Livermore and paid the seller to repack the bearings before I picked it up to tow back to Riverside.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbabs View Post
...I will try to post some pics if I can figure out how!...
From a computer, see post #7 here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-43021.html

From a mobile device using the app, see post #4 here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...app-68187.html

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #7

California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430724948.630651.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	83473Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430724976.129142.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	83474Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430724992.523295.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	83475Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430725021.339562.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	83476Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430725037.351549.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	83477

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-04-2015, 03:43 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sweet looking rig, happy camping to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Wow, Barbara, you have a nice trailer! If the mechanicals check out and you take care of bearings & tires, this is easily at the upper end of the value spectrum. The updated retro decor would appeal to the classic car crowd for sure. But then, after you take a few trips, you may decide this one's a keeper!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Sweet! Another 74' Perris Pacer in California. We should get them together to make little ones. ;0)

Cheers!
Fred
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Very nice rig, if I were you and you liked to camp I wouldn't let go of this one...love the interior
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very nice pacer....I have one in so California....you should bring it to the lake casitas rally in October in ojai
( not far from Ventura) a great good and lots of nice trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #13

California
She's for sale!
1974 Perris Pacer Travel Trailer 10'- a beautiful classic

Tags
perris pacer