Beachcomber Trailer Size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 03:39 AM   #1

Name: JIM
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1975
Nova Scotia
Beachcomber Trailer Size

Wondering if anyone on this site would know the correct tire size for a B15 1975 Beachcomber. Now has small 14 in. car tires that look way undersized for the trailer. Thanks, Jim.
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I don't want to state the obvious, but maybe that's best: if you'll take the trailer down to a local Les Schwab Tire place, and ask them...

I, too, think the tires look too small on the trailer, but they fit the rims that fit the axle, and just this weekend someone was admiring our "great big tires!" So tire size is, apparently, in the eye of the beholder...and who says size matters, anyway? (Well, Les Schwab OR your tire dealer will tell you it does. Ask, and ye shall be told.)

Paul went in with the rims (that's another option to towing the whole trailer down) and said, these are travel trailer tires. I want new ones. The store said, "We carry three tires that will fit those rims:" and told him the weight capacities and warranty lengths on them all, with prices. They said any of those three would more than handle our trailer weight (you should know that when you go in), and Paul picked the middle option for price.

So far, no problem-os at all.

And with trailer tires, you go more by age than tread wear--unless you really tow it a long distance...hard to reach the total tread life of a trailer tire, though there are many on FGRV who probably would!

BEST
Kai

PS: For myself, I often mentally picture tires in proportion to Mickey Mouse's trailer tires in the old (yes, very old) cartoons, with the lovely huge whitewalls. Real trailer tires aren't that big in proportion to real trailers.

Neither do we ever drive so fast that the road rises up off the ground from the speed of our passage--the way it used to do when Mickey drove past!

It took a little getting used to seeing those "little" tires on there!

Happy trails!
BEST
Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #3

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
not a big fan of Crappy Tire but I am sure they can fix you up with proper Trailer Tires, not car tires
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #4

Registry
I agree about "Crappy Tire--" whatever stores don't make you feel confident, don't shop there.

Did NOT mean to suggest I was recommending Les Schwab over other tire stores! Sorry if it looked like that.

IMHO, shop where you feel good about the place, the people, the product and the process. Natch. IMHO. Lots of good tire stores around!

YMMV.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not sure why people take pleasure in crapping on Canadian Tire. They sell all sorts of products in a wide range of quality and price levels. If you buy the cheap product instead of the quality product, it's not Canadian Tire's fault.
They are also a quality stock purchase, if you are an investor, which says something about their success. Consumers love to shop there and complain.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Registry
Well now I've done it again! I thought "Crappy Tire" stood for Les Schwab.

WHATEVER. Shop where you like.

Just trust the tire store for trailer tires and ratings.

Besides...aren't cars usually heavier than trailers? Wouldn't a car tire that fits the trailer rim do OK anyway? Just wondering.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Besides...aren't cars usually heavier than trailers? Wouldn't a car tire that fits the trailer rim do OK anyway? Just wondering.
Nope. The ST (special trailer ) tire is special, in that it is designed for towing and has stiffer sidewalls.
Using car tires is kinda like using Coke to remove nail polish...
Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Registry
Glenn Baglo, OK. Good to know. Glad Paul got trailer tires when he replaced the ones that came with Peanut.

Thanks!

Tags
beachcomber