New cadet owner? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 02:27 AM   #1

Name: Teerav
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
New cadet owner?

Is that what this is? Any tips?

Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #2

Ontario
Anyone have any Intel on these ? Are they restorable, can you get parts? Any advice on first timer diy project :-)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have no advice on parts
I just wish I could find one of these
Any interior pics
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is it my imagination or is this bigger than other Cadets we have seen? I've never seen the window next to the door before, either. Different model?

In any case, use the "Site Search/Google" feature at the bottom of the search menu to find old threads on Cadets. I'm sure you're find some leads on parts, and you may even be able to connect with another owner who is active on the forum and share tips.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Ontario
Thank you, yes it's a bit of a mystery bus. I get my hands on her Thursday. I also didnt notice a pop top on it either. So I'm not sure. Also the floor plan is a little different, it has a bathroom (for a bucket) which is strange to see. Perhaps its some sort of Franken cadet.

But it is almost 100% a cadet I would say, unless other manufacturers used this mold
Old 06-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I have no advice on parts
I just wish I could find one of these
Any interior pics
I'll get some better pics when I get my hands on it
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0240.jpg   IMG_0242.jpg  

IMG_0241.jpg   IMG_0243.jpg  

Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #7

Name: Norm
Trailer: 1987 Cadet
Ontario
You've got the Captain, the bigger brother to the Cadet.
Sennema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Captain (Cadet)
Ontario
1985 Captain (cadet?) New owners

Hi there
I jut picked up a 1985 Captain fibreglass camper. (January 2021)

Covid 2020 was a disaster. I’m hoping this camper is a sign of good things to come in 2021 LOL.

Outside appears decent. All windows intact.

Roof liner has come off and is drooping.

But no musty smell, no leaks, and all the interior wood isn’t damaged and feels dry and solid.

I found it while driving down a backroad near Strathroy Ontario and decided to pull up the driveway and ask the farmers.

We settled on $500.

Looking forward to advice and tips, I’ve already began to read many forums and feeds so THANKS!
Davechmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #9

Ontario
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davechmara View Post
Hi there
I jut picked up a 1985 Captain fibreglass camper. (January 2021)

Covid 2020 was a disaster. I’m hoping this camper is a sign of good things to come in 2021 LOL.

Outside appears decent. All windows intact.

Roof liner has come off and is drooping.

But no musty smell, no leaks, and all the interior wood isn’t damaged and feels dry and solid.

I found it while driving down a backroad near Strathroy Ontario and decided to pull up the driveway and ask the farmers.

We settled on $500.

Looking forward to advice and tips, I’ve already began to read many forums and feeds so THANKS!

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
17649F3F-349A-4760-82E7-33CC003B9C15.jpg   5E631D3A-7D75-4E28-9501-9DE64AA48473.jpg  

9888ADAB-1D3C-4404-9428-02FDEBDC34DB.jpg   64F719FC-B38D-406A-898B-17812D08C115.jpg  

Old 02-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: trailer
Hi, to answer your question- yes they are restorable. I am in the middle of a major restore now. What you need to know with these is you get nothing for free- when you redo a boler much of the structure is in place in fibreglass. When you redo these you rebuild everything. I currently have redone the exterior fibreglass and re painted. Replaced the dome windows with cut acrylic (importing the replacements from poland is possible but expensive). I used the boler window rubber to imbed them. Redid the floor, insulated the walls, starting to build cabinets- If you need any insight I can share what I have figured out. If you rip out the inside, keep the parts for templating if you want to return to that layout - I did not. Buy baltic birch, don't scrimp on materials the trailer is not big enough to worry about the difference in cost. Good luck. If you bale on the project let me know I've fallen for these little trailers and would redo another.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Re doing a Cadet

I am currently redoing a Cadet - willing to share what I have figured out if you are redoing this. Great find.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I am also in Ontario and have just about finished restoring a captain ,mine was in extremely rough shape and has come along nicely after a complete gut ,
will get pictures when the snow is gone.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Hi, to answer your question- yes they are restorable. I am in the middle of a major restore now. What you need to know with these is you get nothing for free- when you redo a boler much of the structure is in place in fibreglass. When you redo these you rebuild everything. I currently have redone the exterior fibreglass and re painted. Replaced the dome windows with cut acrylic (importing the replacements from poland is possible but expensive). I used the boler window rubber to imbed them. Redid the floor, insulated the walls, starting to build cabinets- If you need any insight I can share what I have figured out. If you rip out the inside, keep the parts for templating if you want to return to that layout - I did not. Buy baltic birch, don't scrimp on materials the trailer is not big enough to worry about the difference in cost. Good luck. If you bale on the project let me know I've fallen for these little trailers and would redo another.
Agreed the captain like many trailers are built using the cheapest cabinet materials possible but by using the original cabinets for templates it was fairly easy to refabricate new and much improved ones.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #14

Name: bria
Nova Scotia
I am also currently renovating a 1987 Cadet, I am currently stuck on what to do with the walls. It is completely gutted down but I am so stumped....Any suggestions??
briasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Ontario
Not sure if the cadet is built identical to the captain but it may be ,because the captain is mostly flat wall on the sides I was able to fasten 2x2s to the wall using PL premium x8 and using the existing fg strips to screw to ,I than put ridged 1 inch insulation in the cavities and than used 5/8 pine tongue and grove ship lap to cover . On the front and back and the ceiling I used paintable undercoating fromprincess auto .sprayed a heavy textured coat took around 12 cans and than painted with an exterior acrylic paint . I will post pictures when I can get to the camper.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #16

Name: bria
Nova Scotia
For the most part it doesn’t have completely flat walls, I was thinking on using just a foil insulation, where it’s mainly only going to be used a handful of times during the summer. As for covering the insulation I was stuck using maybe a carpet like material/felt rolls or some sort of wood.
Attached Thumbnails
CEF99974-690D-482B-ADC0-450DA3B30F6F.jpg   20D71B23-EE92-4187-91F5-3DAF3A5AC66F.jpg  

52C3391E-397A-4420-BAAC-6CC06941BBCD.jpg  
briasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
I am close to the finish line in my Cadet renovation. I insulated with reflectix, Not a great R factor, but it does prevent condensation and is a good sound barrier. Before installing I used 1" x 1/2" furring strips on areas where I needed to do attachments. Such as for attaching curtain rods, and for attaching the vinyl 4x 8 ft panels which I used on the sides. I also used the vinyl on the interior of the popup. For the rest of the surfaces I used Eco carpet from Home Depot. I used contact cement on the insulation and a combination of contact cement on the reflectix and 3m 90 spray on glue on the carpet itself
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
redo

i would glue reflecx then glue stuff like scamp uses looks nice easy to maintain get some insulation not a lot!

i did a 40f Eagle bus with this!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:34 AM   #19

interior

When doing the interior, I used furring strips- one first horizontally and then a sequence of them vertically. I fibreglassed them in with mat strips (same as they did on the floor). In between the vertical boards I used the 1 inch white foam 4X8 sheets with the silver vapour barrier on one side. To finish the wall I covered 1/4 ply with marine vinyl (mostly because I was doing a test for a sailboat I will be doing) it has a clean finish. To attach the vinyl I used a spray adhesive from canadian tire ( the orange spray can ) I used this one because it has a wide temperature range.When using a spray adhesive research its temperature range- if not it may soften in the heat of the summer. I can't tell you for sure if the one from Can Tire will work as it has not seen a season yet. Six cans to do the vinyl and the ceiling. I ended up using the speaker covering materials from crutchfield for the ceiling. It is cheap and easy to apply, seemingly easily following the curves in the ceiling. The ceiling came out really good. What I would change if I did it again is use a 1/4 birch to do the finish of the walls with probably holding them in place with my finish trim ( I used screws with silver collars they fit in and they have worked well- Im just not sure I needed them. For the floor, I gutted out the original ply taking notice of where the water rot was- It seemed to collect mostly in the corner- so I painted the edges of the new ply with the red shower water barrier paint, then covered that with wide strips of a quality shower barrier material I had left from a job, and then foam underlay taped at the seems and finished with a vinyl floor product that looks like wood. If I was to change anything know I would have used a 3/4 inch ply on the floor, I used 1/2 inch. 1/2 inch works and I used it for weight, but like the solid feel and screw in power of the 3/4 ply. I would also consider putting in the water, insulating squares that are used on basement floors. I can feel the cold coming in strong on the floor. This may not be a concern for you but I do winter camping so I would consider it.One caution if you use the furring strips and insulation you will be minimizing the space you have from side to side-my finish dimension is 5 11 and I am six foot. I have to orientate my mattress running the length of the interior because I can't fit side to side. Maybe the captain is a bit wider and you won't have to worry about it. And that brings me to today - I am starting cabinets- I will be using birch and baltic birch ( it has a tighter laminate finish with no voids ).
Old 03-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #20

Ontario
Awesome thanks man. Great info.

Tags
cadet