1975 Ventura Monarch - Replacing Plywood Floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Ventura Monarch
British Columbia
1975 Ventura Monarch - Replacing Plywood Floor

Hi there! I am new to this forum and in need of some advice! I have a 1975 Ventura Monarch I am renovating, turning into a mobile bar. I have gutted the majority of the interior. My next step is to pull up the plywood floor and replace as there are parts that have water damage and the previous owner replaced some but not all so its different heights all over the place.

My question is...what's the easiest way to go about this? I'll be brutally honest and say I have very little skill other than cutting the plywood and that's being generous.

So questions A) what is the best way to pull the plywood without damaging the fibreglass and b) what is the easiest but still structurally sound way to attach the new 1/2 plywood?

Sorry for the bad images, will take new ones tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1926 (1).JPG   IMG_1928 (2).JPG  

ambleandsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambleandsip View Post
Hi there! I am new to this forum and in need of some advice! I have a 1975 Ventura Monarch I am renovating, turning into a mobile bar. I have gutted the majority of the interior. My next step is to pull up the plywood floor and replace as there are parts that have water damage and the previous owner replaced some but not all so its different heights all over the place.

My question is...what's the easiest way to go about this? I'll be brutally honest and say I have very little skill other than cutting the plywood and that's being generous.

So questions A) what is the best way to pull the plywood without damaging the fibreglass and b) what is the easiest but still structurally sound way to attach the new 1/2 plywood?

Sorry for the bad images, will take new ones tomorrow!
Rebecca find on the forum fellow Canadian who restored her Ventura too. Her name is Patricia D. Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #3

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Ventura Monarch
British Columbia
Thanks Linda, Patricia's thread was very helpful to read through!

I decided to just leave the original plywood and install new 1/2" ply on top using construction adhesive. The parts that had water damage were completely dry and no mould so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of removing and figured the new plywood would be structurally sound....hope that was the right thought

Can't say my cuts were great, but the bad spots will be covered by cabinets so I am not too worried!
ambleandsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambleandsip View Post
Thanks Linda, Patricia's thread was very helpful to read through!

I decided to just leave the original plywood and install new 1/2" ply on top using construction adhesive. The parts that had water damage were completely dry and no mould so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of removing and figured the new plywood would be structurally sound....hope that was the right thought

Can't say my cuts were great, but the bad spots will be covered by cabinets so I am not too worried!
Hi Rebecca glad I could help . I am Pat though of Linda and Pat . Talked many times to Patricia and glad I still remembered! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: Ventura 73’
British Columbia
Hi there. I think I piped in at some point with similar questions. Our floor was also in rough shape.

With door frame removed we basically ‘chipped’ at floor by the door until it was no longer tucked under the inside door framing then carefully pried it up... it was a process and let me tell you there were definite ‘high fives’ once we got it. I thought it would be harder if epoxied to the shell but it was so water damaged - once we got something under it - it came up rather easy. One tip might be to use a jack and a piece of plywood underneath the doorway section just to give it some firmness and not crack the doorway fibreglass as you pry. The drench floor with epoxy and lay new piece. I mulled over so many options - in the end glad we ripped it up and replaced with fresh 3/4” piece (we used old piece to trace new one). Good luck! Friends of ours have one of these as gelato camper!
murffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura