axle help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: katie
Trailer: trillium
CA
axle help

Hi, I have a 2014 sidekick legend 1500 Trillium that needs a new axle. The tires are rubbing the wheel well and the springs are shot. Anyone able to help me? I have no clue what to order. I have a shop thats willing to install but was told I need to order the parts. Help?!
thank you
krastevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A four-year-old trailer should not need a new axle. I'd look for another cause.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Name: katie
Trailer: trillium
CA
Hi Glen-
Thats what we thought too, but it was looked at by an axle shop..
Any thoughts you might have? We are taking it for a second opinion as well.
krastevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #4

Sorry, I'm no help. But, do get that second opinion.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would take it to a trailer shop. A utility trailer shop at that. Not anyplace that specializes in RV repair.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Doesn't sound like a torsion axle - maybe a PO mod? I didn't think Trillium came with springs (which should not wear out in 4 years, either. Maybe the PO wanted clearance for bigger tires and didn't do the mod correctly. I'd call Trillium with the VIN and find out what the original axle was a get a recommendation...

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd call Trillium with the VIN and find out what the original axle was a get a recommendation...

Wouldn't you have to find them first?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wouldn't you have to find them first?
Not that hard : Trillium Trailers

Actually there is a dealer about 15 miles from my house.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

Well, there is the Trillium outside of Calgary, Alberta, and the one that moved to Winnipeg, Man. and then to Alabama? where it went out of business. What Trillium are you referring to?
Is it this one?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...iew-84603.html
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Oregon
Glenn, I dunno. I just know I viewed a Trillium at my local dealer maybe 3 years ago as I was trying to figure out the color of their fiberglass compared to other brands. The review suggests it's under different ownership now. Regardless, the OP might try to contact them and see if there are any records of that rig.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
axle help

Trillium Sidekick is now defunct, so no help there. Trillium Outback seems to be having its own troubles, and too far away in any case.

Fortunately trailer axles are not rocket science. Advice to seek out a utility trailer shop or axle & suspension shop rather than a general RV shop is good.

A 4-year-old axle shouldn't be worn out, but it may be damaged, or it may have been improperly installed, or it may have the wrong size tires and/or wheels. The shop will be able to give you some options to put it right.

Most smaller molded trailers have rubber torsion axles as OEM, not leaf spring axles. That would be a conversation to have with the shop.

Keep us posted.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'm not Trillium, but I play one on TV..... sorry bad dad humor.

My Trillium 4500's, (15' like the 1500's) all came with a 2000# torsion axle. There are those who prefer springs. Perhaps the original owner requested them, as a custom option, from Sidekick. Odds are that the axle is fine, and you just need new springs, which are far less expensive then a new torsion axle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #13

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
would it be possible that the PO put on bigger wheels and tires? Therefore rubbing inside the fenders.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #14

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Trillium
California
Hi All,

This is Andrew, the OPs husband (and my first post to the forum). The Trillium has a torsion axle (2500 lb capacity) with 13" tires. The torsion arms are angled upward toward the trailer. There is even a small impact ding on the underside of the fiberglass where the torsion arm hit the shell of the trailer. We have now been to two shops and both people have said they have never seen a problem like this on such a new trailer (first travel trailer luck I guess!). When we went to look at the trailer, I noticed the small amount of clearance for the tires, inspected the wheel wells, and asked about any problems. The PO must have cleaned off any rub marks because when we got the trailer home, we saw lots of rub marks on the wheel wells.

So the shop we have it at is going to jack up the trailer, take the wheels off and inspect the current axle and go from there. The shop told us these axles are not serviceable so we would have to replace it. One question is whether we have some freedom to choose the arm angle of the replacement axle? I would like some additional clearance, but not as much as if we put in a spring axle. The shop owner said that the replacement axles from Dexter are all custom ordered (non-refundable) and take up to 6 weeks for delivery so I would like to be knowledgeable about the decision as he makes suggestions to move forward with the repair. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks for looking and I am trying to attach some photos in case they mean something to those interested. Thanks for looking!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7289.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	124780

Name:	IMG_7290.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	124781

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	124782
Drewstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Andrew, that's not a close fit....it's dang tight . I have to agree that a 4 YO axle should still be fine. Did the shops check to see if there was still good rubber and reflex in the axle? If so, I can see no other reason for the fit to be so close to the wheel wells than the wrong up/down angle was installed at the factory. I have no idea what the factory specs were and can't decipher your axle tag. May be wrong and that sure wouldn't be the first time . Maybe another member with the same rig and good tire clearance can compare their tag to yours.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
To OPs:

I replaced my worn out 40 year old torsion axle on my Trillium 4500 with a Dexter #9 torsion axle 2 years ago. I ordered it with 2200# capacity (yes the capacity can be specified, adjusted at the factory). Also I ordered brakes pre-installed.

As far as which angle to specify on the order form, you must determine this (or have the shop help you determine) using the rule of thumb that there should be a fist width of space between top of tire and wheel well when the camper is resting on the ground.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
2200 lb is highest capacity that can be specified for the Dexter #9 torsion axle. If you want to go higher capacity you need to order a Dexter #10 torsion axle. I would not go higher than 2500 lb with a Trillium 1500 as the resulting ride will be too stiff resulting in too much shock and vibration. (For reference, my Trillium 4500 weighs 1480 lbs dry and empty.)
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #18

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Andrew, I cannot make out the label in your picture pertaining to the brand/model of your axle but given the fact that it is fairly new, I would be looking to see if it was just improperly set up initially and not fatigued and sagging. My boat trailer has torsion axles and the shaft coming out of the axle is splined. The lever that supports the spindle is splined also with a clamp bolt. This allows the arm to be slid off the splined shaft, rotated to the desired angle and slid back on the splined shaft that gives the proper ride height. My boat trailer axles are from 2004, have had the boat on it continually and is not sagging. I hope you can find someone to help you rectify your problem that doesn't take advantage. With the part numbers available to you on that tag, you can do some research online and figure out just what you have and how to set it up properly. Good luck.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
axle help

Flexi-Ride makes such a splined, adjustable torsion axle. It's an alternative to a fixed angle axle from Dexter or Lippert. It's more expensive, and the axle arms are shorter, so the mounting points will have to be moved slightly. Folks who've installed one give it high marks for quality.

Regarding the axle rating... The tag indicates you have a 2500 pound axle. That means it is a #10 de-rated to 2500 pounds. That seems right for a 15' trailer, especially if it has a bathroom and other upgrades.

And while you're at it... We've already heard of one frame failure on a Trillium Sidekick. This'd be a good time to have the shop check carefully for any signs of fatigue or cracks. The vulnerable place is where the frame curves upward as it comes out at the front of the cabin.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #20

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Trillium
California
Thanks everyone for the valuable advice! The guys at the shop were going to test the rubber reflex on the current axle today. I will definitely mention the possibility of improper installation of the axle as well as have the shop take a look at the frame and update the group when I hear back.

-Andrew
Drewstev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, trillium