Our new to us, 1975 Trillium needs interior. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Our new to us, 1975 Trillium needs interior.

Hi all,
We now have ourselves a new to us, 1975 13 ft. Trillium on our hands. We have to redo the interior, because yes, the entire inside ensolite was gutted. Looking through all the posts on this subject is enlightening and also confusing.
We are weighing all the pros and cons of each approach.

We need a 3 season trailer, and most of our camping will be in fairly mild weather.

Question, we are looking at buying some headliner from a boat manufacturer nearby. They have with and without foam backing. Originally thought we would put on reflectic and then the rat fur, but now thinking of using the headliner with the attached foam. I think it's 1/8 inch. Could anyone weigh in on this? My thoughts is the headliner with the attached foam would be a one step job and better insulation, but will it be ok with condensation?

Also, is there a difference in hull liner and headliner? I keep seeing the terms used interchangeably but perhaps there is a difference? If so, what?

Any and all info would be appreciated
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Our new to us ,1975 Trillium needs interior

Hi anything you can do to add some insulation to your Trillium is a step in the right direction. I feel the refelectix + rat fur would be doable if you take your time and work out all the wrinkles in applying each layer. A spray contact glue would be your best option for each. Buy the best kind available to you. Work only small areas at a time. Coat each surface and smooth it in place. I have used this glue for years doing upholstery work. I would also try and avoid a seam in the rat fur directly over one in the under layer too. This would help keep the seams from opening up to the bare fiberglass anywhere.
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
I completely redone my trillium 4500. Here is the link to renovations.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...p?t=81003.html
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Great time to do all the windows, vents, door sag, and more.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We have had two 13’ Scamps, one with “elephant hide” (ruber with foam back) and one with “rat fur” (fuzzy marine headliner over reflectix). The rat fur never showed any signs of condensation, while the elephant hide had condensation rivers running down the surface.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Thanks for the input everyone.

Seaross that is some remodel. WOW. well we won't be going that far, ha, but I do appreciate all your ideas and insights.

Since its too cold to do much glueing around here these days and in the near future, it is a good time to work on those other issues mentioned, window, etc...and keep trying to figure other stuff out.

I think we have decided to go with reflextic and then marine hulliner. Was looking at U tube videos and it looks like a good option both in final look and also seems easy and forgiving on these curved surfaces. Not sure if hulliner is rat fur or not....can't quite figure out what is considered rat fur. ha.

When putting on the rat fur, do people make a paper pattern first before cutting pieces? I feel a little overwhelmed with the portion of the job. Do you start on the ceiling and go down or the other way around?

I know lots of other questions will come up as we continue on this journey. Which forum is the best to use for asking questions about fixing up these trailers? Care and feeding or modifications? or here at general chat? Just wondered.

Karen
Old 11-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Go to the section by brand first, and do a quick search. Chances are there are detailed answers on almost anything Trillium related.

Lots of projects that can be done over the winter, body to frame bolts, electrical upgrades, resealing windows and vent, flooring, and more.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium