1982 Burro - updating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #21

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quick visit. Mainly to measure the hub faces on the axle so I can get quotes for a replacement. I later removed the AC halogen light fixture above the sink. Looking to update the lighting with LEDs.

Like mentioned in my last post, I'm looking at the cracks on the front and rear of the shell. It needs to be worked on and I'm thinking more now about working to remove the seam from the outside. I've seen a few pictures of others doing it and I like the seamless look.

Right now I got a plan started for replacing the frame. Slightly different than before but stronger at the same time.

When I measured the side rails at the coupler, I came up with 3/32" thickness. The cross members appear to be 1/8". I intend to use 1/8" thick material all around. 2x3 on the side rails and 1 1/4" square cross members then use angle iron tabs with holes drilled where the floor will bolt down on. The width of the frame is currently 49 1/2" and might narrow it to 49". The current hub face on the axle is about 63 1/8" and I think I have the space to widen it to 65" giving an extra inch on either side. I intend to add electric brakes on the next axle.

The cross members on the above drawing are mostly in the same place as the current frame has them. The main changes will be the back rail is added which will be covered by a bumper, and the current rear cross-member will be moved forward a few inches (the one marked for 18"). The addition of a hitch receiver will give me the options to use a cargo carrier and/or bicycle rack. I'm also thinking to use that as the way to carry the spare tire.

I expect these things will allow a good strong frame.

Finishing touches... I'm keeping in mind the need for extra support under the entry door. Also looking to add supports for drop-leg stabilizing jacks like Burro has used in the past. My current frame has holes in the bumper for the jacks, but I'm thinking to place them on the frame sides like I saw from another trailer.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-NS27 View Post
Like mentioned in my last post, I'm looking at the cracks on the front and rear of the shell. It needs to be worked on and I'm thinking more now about working to remove the seam from the outside. I've seen a few pictures of others doing it and I like the seamless look.
Hi Dan, just tossing this out FWIW. Might want to reglass the inside for shell strength and non movement before cutting the band off.....but you knew that .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #23

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Dan, just tossing this out FWIW. Might want to reglass the inside for shell strength and non movement before cutting the band off.....but you knew that .
Oh yes. I expected to add a layer of glass to strengthen the seam before I saw the crack. Expecting plenty of some glass work on the outside too. There's some caulking of some type in the seam that needs cleaned out so it'll need opened up a bit to clean it out.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #24

Northern VA
Flexiride Axle info

Looking up the Flexiride axle, seems a lot of people order them from Southwest Wheel out of Texas. Seems easy enough since they have an online order form, but the order form doesn't include information on including brakes. While looking at other makers from The Universal Group website, I gave a call to another one, JTI Inc. in Ohio. They don't list Flexiride on their website but the lady on the phone said they do indeed make them.

In case anyone is interested, I was quoted $550 for a 2k axle with electric brakes. I was also told they ship at cost of what the carrier charges. The lady said when an order is put in, it takes a couple days for them to put together and send it out.

Price isn't too bad. It's about what I've seen for Dexter axles, at least one source gave me $545 (including $60 shipping).
Old 03-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #25

Northern VA
Not that it's needed right now, I've been stripping the paint off the spare as a test for repainting. Used a paint stripper to loosen a lot of the paint but using the wire wheel on a drill to get more paint, and even rust, off. Hard to get between the holes along the outer rim, might try one of those green scrub pads or a stainless scrubber.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190331_151631.jpg   IMG_20190331_151620.jpg  

Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #26

Name: Town
Trailer: 17' Burro 1987
Idaho
stiffer floor

you might consider having the floor supports on 16 inch centers, then use minimum 5/8 inch cdx ply for the floor. Would reduce the "sponge" of the floor.
Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #27

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Dang! Poor Burro. I loved and worked like crazy on mine too. It has been re-homed to my brother’s place in the country. I’ve (sadly) upgraded to a casita with a bathroom. At 70+ I was tired to heading across the park to potty breaks! Love the bathroom. Miss sweet little Bennie the Burro.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro