Greetings from Alberta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: Fred
Trailer: Biggar
Alberta
Greetings from Alberta

Technically, I'm out of province for a month, but Alberta is home. Apologies in advance for the long intro.

I'm a freelance carpenter and often spend half my year on the roads. I take the family (wife & 3 teens) as much as possible.

We have done the air B&B thing, lived out of rental units and hotels and once had a 30' smooth wall trailer. Being unaware of what to look for, the ripples in the walls and tar on the roof seams held little significance for me...

It's taken me a couple years to get over throwing out that trailer. It has kind of soured me on smooth wall trailers. I've been eyeballing the Bolers & Bigfoot since then, but they can be pricey (and small for my needs). I've had a stick built project with rotten corners for a couple years and have yet to make time to reconstruct it.

So last week I bought a 1978 Biggar off kijij! Sight unseen, but I did have a family member verify it existed and take possession for me.

The previous owner was gifted it from his father in law 15 years ago. His estimate was that it had gone camping less than a dozen times in the last 25 years. While waiting to sell it this year he redid the flooring, got the lights and appliances working and replaced the bearings.

Other than the flooring, interior and exterior are original. I've been reading through what other members have been doing with their eggs and look forward to making modifications over time.

As it is, I hope that some new rubber and work around the openings will be enough to take me through this season. I intend to see how deep into the winter I can camp out at work. I appreciate the knowledge and enthusiasm members show on this forum.
Fred D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #2

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Greetings!! Sounds like a great deal. Hoping you have fantastic 4 season camping.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Alberta
Eyes on the prize

We made a flying trip home before the weekend & picked up the Biggar en route, after dark. There was some fine cracks in the gelcoat visible by flashlight. It passed the sniff test from my wife (not much smell of mold or mildew). The floor is firm but wavy, so there has been some water issues in the past.

The same night we picked up trailer, we picked up a late night flat tire which resulted in an impromptu camping trip at the tire shop parking lot for me. (The rest of the family slept in a hotel). As it was raining heavily, I got to see which window frames leaked and how badly the vent lid was cracked & leaking.

Daylight revealed an abundance of weather checking/fine cracks and and some pitting through the gelcoat. Initially, I was disheartened - but I already know that when something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The price I paid for what I got seems fair. The trailer shell needs work, but it's all repairable. I can camp out of it while patching the shell.

Vent lid is now replaced, 2 of five tires (including spare) are dependable. I have Dicor caulk and butyl tape on hand. after I acquire some mat, microbubbles and epoxy resin, I will start making the shell watertight as time allows.

It's definitely not a winter camper yet. Maybe in another two years provided I don't get side tracked.. picture is taken in the parking lot of tire shop. Sidewall rupture was on is on drivers rear wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
20190628_072530.jpg  
Old 07-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks like all the necessary parts are there. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Welcome!

What year is it? Definitely don’t be disheartened. A trailer that old is going to have those issues, unless it was stored in a garage and never used. Sounds like normal wear & tear. But yeah, get those leaks fixed! And replace all the tires. And have a good look at the wheel bearings.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Alberta
Biggar Gelcoat

Thanks Zach
It's a 1978 Biggar

Wheel bearings were replaced & brakes checked by PO as part of sale prep.

He also checked wiring & ground connections while replacing trailer plug. Apparently I have some bulbs to replace before all the lights function.

I took some pictures of the front. If you zoom in between the letters, it may be possible to see the gel coat cracking that is prevalent on most of the shell. I hope is only an aesthetic thing that I can sand, clean and touch up with resin.
Attached Thumbnails
20190629_155128.jpg   20190628_074208.jpg  

Old 07-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Ah, I missed the first post this morning. Great!

My entire roof looks exactly the same.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggar