Locating a battery monitor in 2014 Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Cool Locating a battery monitor in 2014 Parkliner

Hello To the group,

This may have appeared before but I could not find it in the search forum.
We bought a used 2014 Parkliner and the fellow we bought it from paid for a battery monitor which he had no idea where it is was when we asked him. We have looked for it with no success. If anyone has this in their Parkliner and can share where it is we would greatly appreciate it.

Second question is more generic, our co2 alarm chirps I think when we have the camper set on the battery setting so Im guessing the batteries are not charged enough to keep it from sounding an alarm? If we turn off the DC switch will that stop the chirping that wakes us up? We do not use the propane tanks and they are on off.
PJ
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
CO2 is carbon dioxide. You exhale that. The chirping you hear is from the propane gas detector. It will also sound an alarm if a dog lets off gas.
There is good chance it is chirping to signal that it has reached the end of its life and needs replacement. They are good for five years or so.

To keep it from sounding an alarm, the face plate should be regularly vacuumed or wiped down with a damp cloth.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #3

Virginia
The chirping started 2 years ago and no dog to fart

Hi
I know what the alarm is for and we do not have our propane tanks on ever and I think it only happens after we have switched our power to DC forget to turn it off, and stop at home or camping and then it must drain the batteries and after a day or two it will chirp, so perhaps I diagnosed it myself?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
It is due for replacement. We just did ours.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Second question is more generic, our co2 alarm chirps

You said it not me. And it is due for replacement.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You said it not me. And it is due for replacement.
As Glenn said, it is due for a replacement, whether it is a CO or propane detector. They each have a 5 year life. Chirping can also be caused by a low battery on either a stand alone or 12V detector.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I saw them at Walmart, for about 15$, same one
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I saw them at Walmart, for about 15$, same one

What did you see at Walmart for $15? I don't see any links in previous posts and $15 is about 1/4 of what they cost.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
What did you see at Walmart for $15? I don't see any links in previous posts and $15 is about 1/4 of what they cost.
Not $15.... only $12...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidde-Smo...B-LP2/26524563

Note that the thread discussed both CO and Propane alarms so its not clear what people were talking about, but a basic CO alarm is cheap.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #10

The thread discussed a CO2 ( carbon dioxide ) alarm and described a propane alarm. It didn't discuss a CO ( carbon monoxide ) alarm, which is why I wanted clarification.
I believe the OP needs a new propane alarm, which will cost substantially more than a CO alarm.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I saw a bunch of different kinds, all kinds of prices, don;t remember which was which. I also saw them at HF. https://www.harborfreight.com/carbon...arm-70031.html. My point was you can get them all over.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
The thread discussed a CO2 ( carbon dioxide ) alarm and described a propane alarm....
No, it discussed a carbon monoxide alarm and a propane alarm. You know full well that the reference to a CO2 alarm was a mistake in naming a carbon monoxide alarm and no one was really talking about a carbon dioxide alarm. Unless of course you can show me that carbon dioxide alarms are commonly used in campers . So in sum, the propane alarm costs a fair bit more than the carbon monoxide alarm and both have finite lifetimes, usually start beeping at EOL, and are commonly available.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Quote:
Hello To the group,

This may have appeared before but I could not find it in the search forum.
We bought a used 2014 Parkliner and the fellow we bought it from paid for a battery monitor which he had no idea where it is was when we asked him. We have looked for it with no success. If anyone has this in their Parkliner and can share where it is we would greatly appreciate it.

Second question is more generic, our co2 alarm chirps I think when we have the camper set on the battery setting so Im guessing the batteries are not charged enough to keep it from sounding an alarm? If we turn off the DC switch will that stop the chirping that wakes us up? We do not use the propane tanks and they are on off.
PJ
Hello and welcome to the Parkliner family, Let see what we can figure out for you. What is the location of the alarm that is chirping. Also, the battery monitor shold be on rhe fiberglass panel above the closet to the right of the bathroom. Most likely it is a sealevel2 monitor, black panel in color with 4 buttons on it, if I rember correctly (batt,black,gray,l.p.) should be the buttons.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The monitor in our 2016 ParkLiner is above the closet behind the screen door to the left of the main door.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #15

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Not sure if I should relate a similar situation from my 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe to your Scamp's chirping propane/CO2 alarm but, after my Casita was in storage for 2½ months, I had a steady chirping sound. At first I thought that it was the usual low battery warning from the smoke alarm which is above the cabinets on the side table across from the fridge.

The problem turned out to be the propane/CO2 detector which, in the Casita, is on the floor sidewall (see youtube reference below) under the dinette in the back of the Casita. That detector is hardwired to the battery and is "online" 24x7. After several weeks in storage, it had drained the battery down and it proceeded to chirp to "warn" me that the low battery was jeopardizing its operation. The Casita spec says that it draws .05a of power which, on its own, would drain the battery after 1700 hours (approx 70 days).

The solution was to disconnect the battery and put it on a charger. The long-term fix was to install a cut-off type connector on the battery that I use to disconnect the battery when putting the RV into storage for any period of time when I insure that my propane tanks are completely shut off.

LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #16

Virginia
Thank you for where to look for the battery monitor!

Finally someone answered my where to look for the battery monitor ?
As to the gas and carbon monoxide detector (Safe T Alert model 40-442-P)
IT HAS BEEN MALFUNCTIONING FOR MORE THAN 2 YEARS MOST LIKELY DUE TO DRAINING THE BATTERIES). Anyway, we got a new one, but will not replace with the same brand due to early failure.
When trying to remove the old one the screws that hold it in place that Parkliner used are some weird ones that my handy dandy screw ratchet kit does not seem to have one that matches? Closest shape to the holes was a tiny star shaped one and I also tried a small allen wrench but nothing seems to fit.
Any feedback or ideas on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
PJ
Old 08-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
A propane/CO detector will drag down your battery in a couple of weeks unless you use some method of recharging it.

The Safe T Alert model 40-442-P you referred to is a propane only detector (no CO) and draws 90ma, or about 2.16 amp hours per 24 hour period. That will drain a 80 amp hour battery to 50% in about 2 weeks.

The screw tip is probably a TORX.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #18

Virginia
Thanks Jon

Don't know what a torx is but will look it up. Probably the only tip we don't have on hand!
I bought a Kidde plug in gas and carbon monoxide detector with a read out, and with a battery back up and think that one will serve us better as we keep our propane tanks off 100% of the time.

Meanwhile I am thinking of just clipping the wires in the back of the Safe T Alarm to disable it permanently.

What do you think?

PJ
Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #19

Virginia
Looked up the torx bit

Okay this makes perfect sense, use something that a consumer cannot "tamper with" and make it difficult to remove and replace something that your life depends upon like the safe t alert! Thanks to Parkliner for this most annoying feature.

Also looked for the battery Monitor in the places people suggested and there is none even though the fellow we bought it from shows as having it listed as options ordered and paid for!

Sorry , but this should be much more user friendly.

PJ
Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Finally someone answered my where to look for the battery monitor ?
As to the gas and carbon monoxide detector (Safe T Alert model 40-442-P)
IT HAS BEEN MALFUNCTIONING FOR MORE THAN 2 YEARS MOST LIKELY DUE TO DRAINING THE BATTERIES). Anyway, we got a new one, but will not replace with the same brand due to early failure.
When trying to remove the old one the screws that hold it in place that Parkliner used are some weird ones that my handy dandy screw ratchet kit does not seem to have one that matches? Closest shape to the holes was a tiny star shaped one and I also tried a small allen wrench but nothing seems to fit.
Any feedback or ideas on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
PJ
Those star shaped screws are otherwise known as TORX they are becoming very common.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, parkliner