'75 1300 bunk bed installation... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Max
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Trillium bunk bed original design...

Hi guys,
I recently acquired a 75 1300 Trillium camper and as I'm redoing the front window, I have come across a problem I would like to solve and I would need some of that seasoned owners thought!
I have asked this on another Trillium owner Facebook group page but got different opinions so I would like to clear it up a little..
So here it is: I know the top bunk is screwed to the lower part of the window frame but the thing is mine had an extra piece of plywood caped with plastic on the top edge that was screwed between the piano type hinge and the ensolite covering the frame and I was wondering if that was stock from Trillium or if it was installed by previous owners?... I have some people saying it's stock and others saying their's are all original and don't have that extra "spacer" and have the hinge screwed directly to the ensolite...
I would love you guys input on this since, to me, it just doesn't make sens that Trillium would have aded a spacer to an already pretty weak design??..
I mean, doesn't adding a spacer just gives the weight an xtra leverage to pull on the screws and wall?..
But maybe they just did so to make sure the window's handles would clear the cushion when on bed position but?...
Second question: If that extra spacer is stock, is the bed side of the hinge screwed on the exact edge of the cushion's plywood base or should it be screwed around 3\4" of an inch in so when it's set in the bed position, the side of the bed sits on the spacer?... (see drawing...)
Last question: As I thought about the design and needed my 13 years old, 80lbs daughter to sleep up there and hope she can follow for another few years, I tried to find a simple way to ad strength to the whole thing and came up with a few ideas but here is the one that I would prefer..
What if I would screw the window back (using 1" #8 ss screws with nylon washers) but use 4 of the flange's holes to put #8 ss bolts that would go through every thing (window flange, fibreglass, plywood frame, ensolite, plywood spacer (*or not?..) and hinge and lock it with ss nuts and lock washers!... Wouldn't that ad structural integrity strenght?
That's only my 2 cents but anybody tried that?
please give me your feedback on it!
Tkx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8413.jpg  
TrilliumMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
I am pretty sure the extra wood was stock. On mine, I have attached the piano hinge on the edge and I added wood framing around the whole window instead of just having a hunk of wood in one area.
Not sure if it would make a difference to put the hinge in 3/4 of an inch in or not?
As for your idea, I think its a better idea than if you didn't do it. I was planning on doing the same and adding some stainless lag bolts and washers to go right through from the outside to the piece the hinge attaches to. If you have the nuts and washers on the inside though, it will prevent the hinge from being able drop.
b_houf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium