Short term heating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
i cook a meal, and heat water in the pots for doing dishes, by the time I'm done the camper is warm, and stays warm a while.
I do not have a stove hood, and with the roof vent open and the stove window cracked slightly have never had my CO alarm go off
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #22

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Thanks
Simple is better, that’s about what I’ve decided.
There seems to be a sub-set of tiny trailer owners, like me, that want to make things as simple as possible- eliminating as many complications as possible.
My son, an electrical engineer, has a giant Airstream and loves adding and tinkering with solar, batteries etc- and IS always tinkering!
I like fishing, hiking and sight -seeing, and just want a warm place to sleep, read and play games.
Like Thoreau, simplicity, simplicity, simplicity- for me anyway.
Thanks,
Burroman
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #23

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
You need about 1 square inch venting for each 1,000 btu's of heat when using a Mr Buddy or Wave heater for longer than an hour. If it's for less time we don't worry about venting. We cook on our less efficient stoves and most don't vent, don't we? So spare me the lecture.

However, yes, we have the carbon monoxide detector that came with the camper and an extra detector just for redundancy.

To quickly warm our Escape 5th wheel at night we run a Mr Buddy heater on low, 4,000 btu's. It warms the camper in less than 15 minutes, whereas the furnace takes at least an hour or more. We use refillable 1lb Flame King LP containers.

We camp in the shoulder seasons, many times the night temps get below freezing. I take our Mr Buddy to the cold showers at the campground. I get into the changing stall and turn on the Mr Buddy. After I get out, my area is nice and toasty. Worth every penny!

Haven't heard of anyone who has properly vented the heater die yet, ever! In November an idiot who insulated and sealed his van died when using his sunflower heater inside the van with no venting. They determined he disabled the safety switch on the sunflower heater and was also cooking on the heater. Now that man was an idiot! A dead idiot!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:16 AM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I use my stove top for heating my trailer. But it was designed for that use, it has an outside exhaust and there is no open flame.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #25

California
I just got the small Mr. buddy for the Burro.
Will give it a try this winter.
Can’t imagine using it for more than 15-20 min. Just to get the Burro warm.
I’ll let you know what I think.
Burroman
Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #26

California
Little Buddy

After 2 trips to the winter desert the little buddy is a winner.
We used it evening for an hour to read and get ready for bed, and about the same in the morning.
Burro held the heat well after it was turned off. I continuing to add insulation after every trip, and that seem to help.
It does take up floor space, which is premium in a 13’ trailer, the only downside.
I’d say it’s a great addition for winter camping.

Tags
burro