Which trailer do you regret selling? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #21

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Thanks Iowa Dave. It’s you’re perspective on this forum that keeps it a pleasant place.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #22

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
1 and 3. Keep the newer Casita. We have a 17' and it is a neat little trailer. Sometimes I think it may cause a divorce because of it's size and I don't carry a weapon because one of us may not come home...

Best trailer I have owned was a 25' Airstream. Hope to have another someday. Just my 2 cents worth which is not much these days. dm
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
So far I've had a 1995 13' Casita, purchased in 2008, sold in 2010
a 1995 16' Casita, purchased in 2010, sold in 2012
a 2012 15' Parkliner, purchased new, sold in 2013
a 2002 17' Bigfoot, purchased in 2013, sold in 2017
a 2017 17' Escape, purchased new, still own

I've not regretted selling any of them. Except for the Parkliner, I made considerable mods and upgrades, and sold for more than I paid. Except for the Parkliner, I loved them all but was ready for larger size or different features.
The early Parkliner had some great features that others lacked, but it also had many features I disliked, most of which were later corrected. I think it's a shame Parkliner didn't survive.

Walt
Old 01-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #24

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
The one I wish I had kept.

I sold a motorhome to an individual from out of state and purchased a 2012 19' Scamp deluxe that was like brand new. I personalized it for a couple of weeks getting ready for our first trip. A month after selling the motorhome it came back with a bad title. My state title had been good. Finally got it straightened out and now had 2 campers. I put them both up for sale and said which ever one sells first I'll keep the other. The Scamp sold very quickly. My wife still reminds me the scamp was the nicest camper I ever brought home.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #25

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thank you all for your contributions to the thread.
I am leaning toward keeping them all at this time. The 13' Scamp is a must keep and I think it would pair nicely with either the 16' Scamp or 17' Casita, but I can't seem to let either of those go.

I'm thinking of going to Quartzsite in February and testing out the boondock features of the Casita.
It has all of these additions:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...”-sale-0

Here's the 16' Scamp Deluxe:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-la-habra-ca

Found the old ad for my 13' Scamp too:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-calimesa-ca
Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Personally, when something conks out or wears out on most anything I own I shrug it off and either replace the item with a better one if available, replace with the same unit and either hope it lasts longer or as long as the original. Or on small items throw it away and promise myself I won’t “have one of those again”. Maybe this is all a flawed philosophy because my attention span and drive to “get on with it”, doesn’t allow me to dwell on these things. I had a poorly built Chevy pickup ,no more Chevy pickups, same with one Ford I had. So as the man says
“You pays your money and you takes your chance.” I do not knock other people’s choices of equipment. It’s hard to judge someone else’s experience without knowing all the details. And there are always exceptions. Enjoy the sun, the snow, sunrises and sunsets. Alway remember you’re vertical and the alternative is not so good. I wish the guy who plows our association road would quit nicking up my turf grass at the top of my lot. Guess I’ll have to offer him a lesson in snow plowing but he will probably decline.
Iowa Dave
Well stated, Dave.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm on my second trailer. Both were bought new. My first, a Chalet A frame was great except for two things. It had to be set up to take a bathroom break and there were lots of moving parts. It held up well but after 6 years it was time to move on. I wanted fiberglass for longevity and jalousie windows for the air flow. After a brief stop at Scamp and Escape I bought a Trillium. I would have prefered a 15' but none were available at the time so I settled for a 13'. The belly band leaked. Two windows leaked. The door hinges had to be reset. The kitchen furniture was glassed in crooked resulting in the front shelf being trimmed and the back shelf requiring a spacer. None of the lower furniture pieces fit right. The tires were 3 years old. The battery shelf failed. The furnace needed repair. You get the idea... After fixing everything I could fix (the manufacturer made promises but did nothing) I've learned to live with what I couldn't fix. Ten years later it's the best fit for my style of camping. There is nothing made I would want in its place.

I hear Trillium is starting up again. Caveat Emptor
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #28

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've never sold a trailer, but have purchased two which I still own. I know all the warts on/in both trailers. Neither is perfect, but neither am I so I consider us a matched set! Both trailers function as designed. All the issues I've had were not the trailer manufacturers fault, but bad products from other manufacturers. The same appliances all the all-molded-towable manufacturers use. I'm on my second water pump, third propane regulator and second new furnace in my Escape. None of those products were manufactured by Escape. It can be a PITA at times, but I'm adaptable. When something stops working and can't be repaired while camping... carry on! It's not a first world problem and is solvable at home. Perhaps others prefer to be angry all the time. Not me, life is too short for that nonsense.
Donna I totally get where Steve is coming from . We have had a lot of issues with Escape , a couple involved money . I want to say we have had no bad experiences with Reace though . You know we are on number 4 pump . I know Escape didn’t make it but they installed it . We did have to replace our regulator once in year one and the hoses which were leaking from the beginning . The regulator is now 5 years old but did replace the hoses again last summer due to the rubber and is to be expected . Knock on wood same furnace and she still works .
My point is especially the money part which was very big in the thousands , it leaves you with not a good attitude toward their company . For us We just fixed what we could and moved on . As you say life is too short . And someone else is owning Escape now anyway . Time will tell how it works out . We just were not in a position to get another trailer . This was supposed to be the last RV. We bought this trailer new . All the other rv’s were bought used and we fixed them up except for one tent trailer which we had for only 4 years and sold it for 25% more because of the mods you know we can do .instead of being upset every time I look or step into my RV , I would sell it and get something else . We wouldn’t keep getting stressed with this RV . Escape is not the only game in town .
There has been others with that toilet leak yuk ! The new 21 moved the bath back to the middle which moves the black tank back too. Much better because the plumbing line was a problem for others . That is installation problems . Right there a no deal for us .
So Steve being upset we get . I just wish he would get something else .
Your response was kind but some just like to pile on . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
In this context, SOB stands for “some other brand.”

I can understand that someone can be unhappy with any trailer. I find my Escape to be the best trailer I personally have owned. Steve feels different about his. In my case, the absolute worst (POS in my opinion) was a Scamp I purchased new. I would personally never own another Scamp or have any dealings with that company again. I would rather camp in a large cardboard box. But others love their Scamps. Some out of brand loyalty, some because they didn’t have to experience the exasperating and numerous flaws I did every time (and I do mean every time) I used it. But that is what is great about having more than one FG trailer manufacturer; we have choices and we have the right to make them and to formulate whether we made good or bad choices. I am happy for all the Scamp owners who are content with their Scamps, and have empathy for those who are not happy with their choices.

Well... at least you sold the D@mn&d thing very quickly, for a good price, and to someone who appreciates what a wonderful product it really is.
AHHH!! The advantages of Fiberglass RVs!

I am confident that I will be able to do the same when I get too old to use my Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
Donna I totally get where Steve is coming from . We have had a lot of issues with Escape , a couple involved money . I want to say we have had no bad experiences with Reace though . You know we are on number 4 pump . I know Escape didn’t make it but they installed it . We did have to replace our regulator once in year one and the hoses which were leaking from the beginning . The regulator is now 5 years old but did replace the hoses again last summer due to the rubber and is to be expected . Knock on wood same furnace and she still works .
My point is especially the money part which was very big in the thousands , it leaves you with not a good attitude toward their company . For us We just fixed what we could and moved on . As you say life is too short . And someone else is owning Escape now anyway . Time will tell how it works out . We just were not in a position to get another trailer . This was supposed to be the last RV. We bought this trailer new . All the other rv’s were bought used and we fixed them up except for one tent trailer which we had for only 4 years and sold it for 25% more because of the mods you know we can do .instead of being upset every time I look or step into my RV , I would sell it and get something else . We wouldn’t keep getting stressed with this RV . Escape is not the only game in town .
There has been others with that toilet leak yuk ! The new 21 moved the bath back to the middle which moves the black tank back too. Much better because the plumbing line was a problem for others . That is installation problems . Right there a no deal for us .
So Steve being upset we get . I just wish he would get something else .
Your response was kind but some just like to pile on . Pat
Thank you !!
You are 100% correct . At this point in time I have two options . 1) Admit I made a mistake in judgement , live with my mistake and go on ,or sell , take the financial loss and see where the road takes us
Getting upset won’t fix the problem only time and money will .
My wife and I are in our 70’s so it maybe time to take a different path
Thanks again !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Well... at least you sold the D@mn&d thing very quickly, for a good price, and to someone who appreciates what a wonderful product it really is.
AHHH!! The advantages of Fiberglass RVs!

I am confident that I will be able to do the same when I get too old to use my Scamp.
If the buyer appreciates it then it is likely due to all the effort I put in making repairs so he wouldn’t have to put up with the various flaws. I just had a bad taste in my mouth, compounded but the flat-out lie Eveland’s told me (why I would never deal with them again). After all my efforts, it probably has only the normal amount of “issues.” I will, however, admit that I wanted a tandem axle trailer with a bed that didn’t require one person crawling over the other in the middle of the night. Floyd, I am well aware of your staunch defense of Scamp and your love of your trailer. You are, however, never going to change my opinion that my Scamp was the absolute worst camping trailer I have ever owned. And yes, I am sure you will be able to easily sell yours when the time comes because any fiberglass trailer, even a Scamp (gulp), beats a stickie any time!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Gosh, I looked at the "Sold" ads on those 3, and I would keep them all! They all look great!

Also, everyone has manufacturers that they favor and those that they don't. I always appreciate hearing of issues, and then I can decide what matters and what doesn't. Brand loyalty, that isn't my thing!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #33
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
escape 21' vs ram

I live in Gainesville Ga. One year ago I picked up my camper in Sumas Wa. with my new 2019 Ram. One year later we love our Escape. The Ram is gone. The first 12,000 mi. were perfect. The last 2400 mi. was a nightmare. The truck left us stranded on the side of the road until it decided to go 4 times. "Limp Mode". The service mgr. arbitrator and a fire breather from ram had a conference call. Ram said the truck showed no record of trouble on the computer so her position was that the truck was fine and it was still under warranty. The service mgr. agreed to install a monitor until the truck misbehaved but when I went to have it installed he said 3 weeks. Ram said the truck did what it was supposed to so with that I went across the street to another brand and took the hit which put us back in debt. I can fix a camper but you cannot fix these trucks like you used to. We are in our seventies and are going to move on and enjoy what camping time we have left and not dwell on something we had no control over.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #34

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Gosh, I looked at the "Sold" ads on those 3, and I would keep them all! They all look great!
Thank you for looking, you see my dilemma now, it's hard to part with any one of them.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Gotta do what you gotta do. The uncertainty of owning something that could let you down in a dangerous situation isn’t attractive to many people. Hope your new rig is much more satisfactory and doing well for you.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #36

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin View Post
I can fix a camper but you cannot fix these trucks like you used to.
True, I think that's why my dad always liked to buy older trucks, he could work on them and not need any computer equipment.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #37

Trailer: Boler
I've had six travel trailers if you count the Appleby tent camper and I most regret selling my little 10' Eriba Puck that weighed around 900 lbs. It was perfect for weekend camping trips behind my four cylinder Land Rovers. It was great for solo camping trips where I wanted a roof over my head and a place I could stand up to change clothes. It was a fiberglass/aluminum hybrid that towed beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
D90&Puck.jpg  
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
True, I think that's why my dad always liked to buy older trucks, he could work on them and not need any computer equipment.
I think many folks here can relate to this situation. Once we moved into the '90's, when better electronic ignition, disc brakes, and a host of longer-lasting wear-parts became more common, I became a very nervous and conflicted and hopeful "believer" in the newer vehicles.

This recent article underscores how things might be moving too far too fast as more electronics are fitted to vehicles and equipment; I've heard much the same sentiments from construction contractors regarding their "yellow iron".

For tech-weary Midwest farmers, 40-year-old tractors now a hot commodity - StarTribune.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

I'm actually glad to see Steve list some of the specific issues he's had with his 21. His usual references to his 'SOB' are opaque, but I suspect I might do the same if others called me out on noting problems as I have seen occur on at least two forums.

I used the information from a previous post of Steve's (possibly on the Escape forum?) to check the electrical connections at the 120V receptacles and some other specific items he noted. So, even though those items came up clean in my case, I consider that it was useful to me to hear about potential trouble spots.

While there's been a few issues, our experience with our 21 seems to have been much better than his to date. I expect I'd be pretty cheesed off too if our experience had been more like what he describes.

And, as much as I like to complain about people complaining about people complaining, I think I'll give it a rest right here.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #39

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've had three experiences dealing with ETI since I picked up my trailer.
1. The propane heater stopped working. Reace sent me a replacement control module and detailed instructions.
2. I declined the electric awning, choosing the manual box awning. That was a flimsy piece of crap and I replaced it with the pull down awning that came with earlier Escapes. I could not have managed that job without a lot of personal help from Reace. Shortly after that ETI switched back to that same awning. Bad timing on my part.
3. After the sale of ETI but while my trailer was still under warranty a ceiling light fixture went bad. Under the new ownership I was told that's not made by ETI and therefore not covered by my warranty. But they'd be happy to sell me a replacement. I said thanks but no thanks. I ordered one for less online. I heard from someone else who received two light fixture replacements from Reace, with no hesitation. So I guess the warranty now covers only the fiberglass shell?

Walt
Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I used to think I was being treated special by Reace and Tammy and ETI, but I've learned that was their business and personal ethical practice with everybody.

Tags
scamp