Lil Snoozy / Shady Boy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #21

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Doug, if you're really into not penetrating the shell, and all you're mounting is canopy anchors, try the following:

Bolt-rope track with either actual bolt rope or track bullets* as an anchoring device. It can be bent to fit curves, but make sure you curve it slightly down from one end to the other or from the center down so it doesnt cache water. The link I included isn't the only source - many aluminum distributors stock it in 12-20 ft lengths, so buy as locally as you can, or maybe have it cut down to 6' to ship UPS. Track is also available in more flexible plastic.

VHB tape of the appropriate sort to attach the track to polyester gelcoat. I can't help you with the exact type, but 3M has good support and definitely can. Keep in mind that you'll need a foam layer because your spacing between the track and the shell isn't going to be consistently zero. Make sure you get a few product numbers that could do the job, as not all of the types are sold in affordable quantities. McMaster-Carr and ULine are possible sources among many others. If you're wondering about durability, keep in mind that VHB tape is what is used to hold the panels to the structure in passenger rail and commuter buses.

*note that track bullets slide independently - if you need tiedowns to maintain spacing despite being pulled at an angle, try installing small tieoff grommets in the webbing of a length of bolt rope.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
There are also a fair number of holes in the bottom of the trailer which I should consider sealing to prevent wetting of the core.

Doug
The nice thing about holes is that if they go all the way through they can drain accidental leaks.

During the finishing stage of our bigger TD I came in to work one day and the tongue was pointed pretty much "up". There had been a heavy rain overnight, the top galley hinge leaked, and there was now over 100 gallons of water in the back. Drained it, dried it, put some fat epoxy plugs in the floor, and drilled drain holes at all four corners of the galley. Now it's much easier to wash out the galley!

Also fixed the hinge seal appropriately....
Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #23

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
My goal is to place the entire Snoozy or, at least, part of it under a shade canopy while camping. The canopy should not attach to the trailer. Has anyone done that and what product did you use? I have a Clam but, sadly, won't fit.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #24

Florida
The cheapest and simplest route to that sort of total coverage is a portable tent structure like this one from Farmtek.

If that is too bulky to carry around there are other options, but they're a bit more complicated to set up, and wouldn't cover the entirety of the trailer.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #25

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat316 View Post
The cheapest and simplest route to that sort of total coverage is a portable tent structure like this one from Farmtek.
Thanks....that's a big beast! I'm probably dreaming. I don't think my idea is viable. I'll probably just use the Clam and stay out of the sun!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #26

Florida
Costco carries a 13 ft square pop up by Coleman, which isn't tall enough but could have extensions made for the legs. This is what we use for our teardrop, and it extends from in front of the doors to far enough back that we have a galley patio.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #27

Delaware
Quote:
Costco carries a 13 ft square pop up by Coleman, which isn't tall enough but could have extensions made for the legs. This is what we use for our teardrop, and it extends from in front of the doors to far enough back that we have a galley patio.
Cool! Didn't know they made extensions!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #28

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Quote:
The nice thing about holes is that if they go all the way through they can drain accidental leaks.
Yes, there is a drain hole with insect screen under the sink. And one with some kind of cottony fabric under the fridge. Not sure if it is an accidental hole.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy