Need new frame built near Santa Barbara/Ventura - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Need new frame built near Santa Barbara/Ventura

My Boler is 44 years old. A crack is forming above the door which means frame problems. I’d like to just replace the old frame with a new one. Does anybody have a suggestion to have one built in the Santa Barbara/Ventura area? Thanks in advance.
brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Got a picture?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #3

Idaho
Pic of what...the crack?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6501.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	131408
Old 09-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Angry Cause for Pause

It is clear that your frame is not strong enough for the use it has been put to. While the typical frame does deteriorate from corrosion damage over time through lack of service, the first culprit is poor design. Built-to-a-price units like yours are only strong enough for paved highway operation. If you plan boondocking operation over unimproved roads, then a frame redesign is needed to avoid future failures.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Member Ian Giles did an all-new reinforced frame for his Boler rebuild. There are details about the frame on his website. You could take the information to local welders and get bids.

https://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bo...eyond-1/boler/
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

Idaho
Yes, yes people, like I said in my initial post, a new frame is in order. That’s not the question. Yes, I’ve seen Ian’s great website but that doesn’t help me since I’m not a welder. What I’m looking for is recommendations for a place to build me a frame.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Getting a referral to a specific shop from someone who has had a frame built is a long shot. That’s why I was thinking you might need to start vetting local welding shops yourself. But seems like every time I say something like that someone pops up just to prove me wrong. Hope that person is reading this!

One other possibility did occur to me. Happier Camper in Los Angeles is not far away. They manufacture their own molded trailer- not sure if they build their own frames or contract out- but before that they maintained a fleet of vintage rentals. They might be able to give you a referral.
https://happiercamper.com/contact/
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Idaho
Thanks! I’ll check with Happier Camper.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrecluse View Post
Yes, yes people, like I said in my initial post, a new frame is in order. That’s not the question. Yes, I’ve seen Ian’s great website but that doesn’t help me since I’m not a welder. What I’m looking for is recommendations for a place to build me a frame.
If I were in your place, I would be copying the specs from Ian Giles' frame rebuild, put them to paper, and then start shopping those plans around local welding and fabricating shops. Start nearest your home and work your way out until you find a fabricator willing to do the work for the price you want to pay.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura