Sagging roof 1985 Bigfoot 17’ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2022, 10:11 PM   #1

Name: Lieneke
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 17.5
British Columbia
Sagging roof 1985 Bigfoot 17’

Hi there,
I just bought this Bigfoot 17’ trailer. The roof has a sag over the forward berth that is pushing down the upper cabinets in the front of the trailer. I have attached some photos of the issue from the inside. The outside of the shell is smooth and uncracked or discoloured and there is no leak nor has there ever been. Inside the problem appears to be cosmetic. I have a bunch of questions…
1) is this a common problem with trailers of this advanced age?
2) is this snow damage or just the natural slumping of an unsupported portion of the roof?
3) can I provide support inside the roof that might either slow the progress of the sag or actually improve it?
4) will this progress to an actual leaking problem if I don’t do something about it and, if so, what is it that I should do?
Thanks very much.
Eagerly awaiting your replies!
Lieneke
Attached Thumbnails
E1AB2DA9-C4AE-422C-B0B0-FF6BFFB4F7E3.jpg   34945731-B8FA-45FE-88C3-617A5DB940F4.jpg  

255B90D5-D038-4F55-95C2-8EFF2AADF4ED.jpg  
Lieneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Bigfoot

This is a very common problem with the Bigfoot 17. I owned an 81 with significant frontal roof sag . There are many post on the forum , including several indicating how to remedy the problem . Most of the solutions were way beyond my skill set so i decided to live with it . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Name: Kapi
Trailer: Bigfoot 17Ft 1987
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Hi there,
I just bought this Bigfoot 17’ trailer. The roof has a sag over the forward berth that is pushing down the upper cabinets in the front of the trailer. I have attached some photos of the issue from the inside. The outside of the shell is smooth and uncracked or discoloured and there is no leak nor has there ever been. Inside the problem appears to be cosmetic. I have a bunch of questions…
1) is this a common problem with trailers of this advanced age?
2) is this snow damage or just the natural slumping of an unsupported portion of the roof?
3) can I provide support inside the roof that might either slow the progress of the sag or actually improve it?
4) will this progress to an actual leaking problem if I don’t do something about it and, if so, what is it that I should do?
Thanks very much.
Eagerly awaiting your replies!
Lieneke
I do own a Bigfoot 87 model and it has the problem. It is a design issue. I took the cupboard down and and I was surprised to see the cupboard were screw to 1X3 plywood plank which was glued to the unsupported roof. So I am trying to fix it my way after referring some other great comments. if you want some pictures pl. contact me, kapi.Nissanka@gmail.com
knissanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot