Looking for real world experience towing a 21' Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #21

Name: Darryl
Trailer: Bigfoot
Wisconsin
2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB with extended tongue and box

I’m the second owner of this B21 since 2014.
The Bigfoot option of an extended tongue (~ 2 feet longer) and exterior storage box is much more than a cosmetic decision.
The extended tongue changes the towing dynamics significantly, increasing the dimension from hitch coupler and axle, effectively “moving” the axle back.
This design strategy is more forgiving of improper trailer loading, (more idiot proof) and may help reduce sway.
The 2 foot tongue extension likely decreases the tongue weight somewhat, IF the storage box isn’t overloaded.
I can’t think of a downside.
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:11 AM   #22

Name: Charles
Georgia
I'm the person that was linked to in post #11.

Bigfoot's decision to put the fresh water tank under the far back of the bed on the 21RB was a terrible decision. It should have been either placed under the trailer above the axles, or as far forward under the bed as possible.

I have the extended tongue and the cargo locker option. I also have the generator option and a gas/electric water heater, which was introduced about the time mine was built. Mine is a 2008 30th anniversary edition

My first tow was without a WDH and the trailer had NEVER been fitted with one. The PO said it towed "just fine" without one. I am suspecting that they never towed with water in the FW tank, which I ALWAYS do.

The tow home was uneventful. My first loaded tow to a campground was without the WDH and it was extremely squirrely, to the point I consider stopping and draining the FW tank, but I pressed on. On the return home, I did empty the tank before I hitched up and it towed like a dream.

Since then, I have installed a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, which has an excellent reputation of good WD and sway control, plus it is lighter than other hitches. Installing it meant a minimal amount of fiberglass cutting and that was a huge plus for me. The hitch made a huge difference by itself, in the way the trailer towed. Moving a hundred pounds of stuff forward made the rest of the difference.

I also moved everything out of the under bed storage except for the plastic containers with the FW hose and accessories, and the sewer hose and accessories. The power cord (36 ft and rather heavy) and a couple of other heavy items were moved to the front cargo locker.

I calculated the tongue weight and then verified it with a friends Sherline tongue weight scale, at about 800lbs and its probably more than that now.

I keep the power cord and Hughes Power Watchdog and dogbones (is that a pun?) along with rubber chocks, wood blocks, Andersen wedges, patio mat and a host of other items in the front cargo locker.

The trailer tows like a dream now, especially on a smooth road, as I have the GY Endurance tires balanced and have installed CentraMatic wheel balancers also. I recently completed a 3900 mile trip to Sturgis SD for the national BF rally and the trail was "largely" uneventful. I burned 292 gals of diesel and averaged 13.3 mpg. One partial tank full was without the trailer, in and around the Black Hills and I got 22 mpg on that tank. I was running 68-70 mph on the interstates where I could and I usually run about 64-65 get as much as 2 additional mpg. A little bit of speed can make a big difference in mileage. I had to keep checking the mirrors to make sure the trailer was still attached.

Note that I am towing with a RAM2500 diesel. I bought the truck before the trailer, knowing I was buying something and wanted to cover all of my bases. The truck is 98% used for towing the trailer and is rarely driven other wise.

Knowing what I know now, I would not want a 21RB without the extended tongue, not just for the extra storage, but also for the towing and handling.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
full side view of rig.jpg  
Old 10-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #23

Name: Charles
Georgia
If you have a 21 BF of any sort without the extended tongue, seriously consider getting the spare tire off the back bumper and put it underneath on a BAL rack.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-28218-Hid.../dp/B00KPQYV0E

That tire carrier would need annual maintenance, dropping and extending it, and greasing the slider tubes and cleaning dirt out of the spare (which can cause rust in the rim), but that weight being moved from the rear to the front will make a huge difference.

Charles
Old 10-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
One other thing, that is very pricy, but is the best solution for anti sway is a ProPride hitch. Lots of money, a learning curve etc. A few 25 foot Bigfoot owners have them and have spoken highly of their performance. It’s money, but so is your tow and trailer. We opted for a 3/4 ton Ram for our upcoming 25rq. Looked at the new tundra and decided the payload was too little, though I do have a friend who is successful in towing with one. We are coming from a 21c Escape. Definitely not a 4 season trailer, it could be somewhat modified. We towed with a 2004 f150 with a 1750 lb payload. It did fine, though up over Vail pass was challenging and a few times going down mountains I sure wish I had tow haul mode. The Escape I imagine was under 5000 lbs wet. Tow loading sure matters, escape cautioned us to tow with a full freash water tank or an empty one. Our 25 RQ will have the storage box and I expect 1000 lbs on the tongue. The Ram has 3200 lbs of payload. Good luck on your decision. A Bigfoot 21 new is probably 12 to 14 months out, I’m at month 13 on our order. Escape 21 was two years last time I looked and are creeping up to a similar price point, though still cheaper. A loaded one is now 50 plus, with a base price of 41 or so. I expect a Bigfoot 21 might be gotten for 10,000 more thought the right dealer. Prices have risen a lot.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:59 AM   #25

Name: Jon
California
I have a 2018 Bigfoot 21RB with no front storage. My empty weights are listed on the trailer weights in the real world thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I weighed my 2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB this weekend at the CAT scale. The trailer was pretty much empty other than a single 46.2lb battery which I weighed beforehand), 1 empty 1 partially full propane tank (25.6# and 39.4# respectively, also weighed beforehand.) It has all the appliances, including AC but no solar panels and no onboard generator. I was surprised at how heavy it is.

Trailer axles alone while still hooked up to the truck: 4820lbs.

Trailer axles and tongue on jack stand on the same scale: 5360lbs.

That means my tongue weight of 540 with no water is just above 10%. I filled both propane tanks to give it a bit more tongue weight but didn't reweigh after. It was 97 degrees out and I was done. In this trailer it looks like the fresh water is in the very rear of the trailer so the tongue weight will likely go down. At least I know now to load heavy stuff toward the front. Too bad the big outside storage hatch is also near to the back of the trailer. *shrug* I have been towing it with my diesel Chevy Colorado but haven't gone too far. Getting the weight distribution hitch put on soon.

That was before I added my weight distribution hitch. I typically weigh my tongue using a Sherline 1000Lb tongue scale before I roll out and it's usually a little over 600lbs. My typical axle weight is between 5400-5900. I think I may have gone over 6000lbs once. I use an Andersen weight distribution hitch and tow with a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with a 2.8L Duramax engine. I've towed over the Grapevine, over Cajon pass, over the Three Sisters in Oregon, up I-17 from Pheonix to Flagstaff, and through the Rockies on I-40. My truck has never given me any reason to think it can't handle the load. My limiting factor is really the payload capacity which is around 1500. So that leaves ~900lbs for me, passengers, and any cargo I want in the truck.

That being said, I never travel with a full tank of fresh water. As others have said, that tank right in the very back of the trailer makes me wonder what they were thinking. I tow with a few gallons in case I need to use the bathroom in an emergency, and I bring 3 gallons of drinking water with me. I also added a few 2 gallon containers that fit in the cabinet right over the axles near the water pump. I'll just switch the pump to use those when I need quick access to water.
Attached Thumbnails
20221023_195026.jpg  
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #26

Name: Marc
Trailer: 2005 Big Foot 21FB
Oregon
towing bigfoot 2500B21FB

We have owned our 21 foot bigfoot for about 5 years. It weighs about 4000 pounds, empty. It is 8'4" wide, that is wider than the Escape or Casita. Casita is 6'8" wide.
We tow with our 2007 Toyota Tundra. (That was the first year that Toyota upgraded the Tundra engine, plenty of power.)

Never been a problem to tow it, over the mountains, and on curvy roads, but it is wide.

PS- We are selling it, just bought a 17ft Casita, time to downsize
Marc
Marc Heller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot