Towing 21FT Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Towing 21FT Bigfoot?

I guess my 2006 Tundra 4x4 Double Cab V8 is not suitable for towing the 25FT Bigfoot. What's the consensus on towing the 21 FT model?
I have WDH and AirLift bags.
Thanks,
Fullbooker
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:26 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Closer, but I’d still be wary of your payload. Expect 900 lbs tongue weight. Have you figured out your truck’s actual payload ?

I looked it up, maximum payload is 1580. That leaves maybe 500 lbs for passengers and gear and fuel.

I’d look at a 21 without the front box extension. These are heavy trailers for fiberglass. They are very well made and insulated. I pick my 25rq with a front box next week. I sold an f150 with a payload of 1800 lbs to get a Ram 2500 gas. It’s payload is 3200. Your truck is barely in the game for these trailers in my opinion, which is just that. Great trucks, I owned one. I sold it to buy my last 2004 f150 that was mint and low miles. It hauled an Escape 21c very well, but would have struggled with our new trailer with the front box. I expect tongue weight of 1200 lbs.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
As in your other thread, keeping your payload a secret won't get you much more than guesses. What's on your door sticker?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Jon
California
What are you looking at? 21RB? 21FB? I tow my 21RB with no storage box with a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with the 2.8L Diesel. The truck handles the trailer very well. My limiting factor is payload/cargo. My average tongue weight is 600 (measured with a Sherline scale) My payload is around 1500, so I have to load my truck accordingly. I travel alone mostly and don't carry a lot of heavy items in the truck.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #5

Name: Philip
California
Towing capacity 2006 Toyota Tundra

Hi everyone. Thanks for your helpful replies.
As requested, my truck's info is:
Towing Capacity 6500lbs
GVWR 6600lbs
Curb Weight 4965lbs
Payload Capacity 1635lbs

Please help me understand how these ratings affect my ability to tow.

It seems that I have a lot to learn about this subject.

Fullbooker
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbooker View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for your helpful replies.
As requested, my truck's info is:
Towing Capacity 6500lbs
GVWR 6600lbs
Curb Weight 4965lbs
Payload Capacity 1635lbs

Please help me understand how these ratings affect my ability to tow.

It seems that I have a lot to learn about this subject.

Fullbooker
Payload is what your truck can carry. Add the weight of passengers, fuel, what’s in your pickup truck bed and luggage in the cab and the tongue weight of the trailer.
Your tow capacity is the maximum you can pull, ergo the weight of the trailer that’s loaded for travel. Your payload is a little better than expected. Say the 21 has a tongue weight of 900 lbs, could be less without a generator , then you have 735 lbs to for everything else in the truck. I’d say this is doable. Call Grant at Bigfoot and inquire on the estimated tongue weight loaded for travel. It would be stretch for a 25 RQ but the 21 is possible to safely tow, in my non professional opinion. It seems that it’s at the limit of your truck however. I know they improved it from the 2000 I had. Good luck.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #7

Name: Kenny
Georgia
There's a nice video of a person pulling with a Nissan Armada, towards the end, they mention some of the weights. .
Grant is very helpful and usually responds quickly via email. He has been quick to help me with questions. That's pretty good payload for a Tundra. What I would recommend is hitting the Cat Scale with your truck fully fueled. With all items you plan to carry in it with family/pets. See what is left for hitch weight and weight distribution. The equalizer4 hitch weighs 94lbs (1000lb version). Figure that in payload. In some ways, if it was just the wife and I, the 21ft would be perfect combo for my Tundra. It's easier to find some spots to camp versus a longer trailer, but you have most of the benefits of the 25ft version. Dry bath most importantly. Other considerations is if you have a brake controller already. I think 2016 and up came with a brake controller by default on 5.7 models? Good luck
ken_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:42 AM   #8

Name: Charles
Georgia
Some models of the 21 and the 25 have the same GVWR. They both have the same springs and axles.

Be aware that early 21FB models (2002-2007) are subject to a NHTSA recall that requires about 500lbs of weight to be added to the front of the trailer to make it handle properly. Many of the trailers have never been modified and if fully loaded and loaded to the front, the trailer handles OK, however you need to be very aware of the total weight and the tongue weight of these models. Towing this trailer EMPTY can easily result in an accident, wiping out both the trailer and the tow vehicle. That story was recounted in a post on the Bigfoot Owners Club forum.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/200...7V060-2522.pdf

Even my 21RB model with the extended frame and cargo locker was rather squirrely until I moved items from the rear storage to the front. I only carry water and sewer hoses and a couple of other light items in the rear storage now, and the trailer handles nice.

Charles

Tags
bigfoot