Trillium stripped to the bones - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
MG53TD@hotmail.com.
We just did a 13 foot scamp, looks like you have a good start. I would start by taking it down to the fiberglass on the inside and giving it a coat of West System Epoxy on the inside to seal all the cracks and holes, Epoxy is easy to work with without the smell of the fiber glass you get at auto stores. I built a lot of the parts in our trailer and can send some pictures. Best, Ray Walker.
PS my Bride is from Duluth.
Ray in Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:15 PM   #22

Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMike View Post
You always start with a beer. Or the DMV.

Get out the garden hose and spray it down. Find if it is leaking anywhere and start there. I'd get some cutting compound, wax and a buffer. Clean and detail it inside and out first.

Plan your electrical, water system, etc. I'd suggest taking it to a welder or trailer repair shop and have them check your frame. Grease the axle bearings, etc. Check the date code on your tires. Get all the lights working.

Yeah BMV. Make sure you actually own it. Have some friends who bought a trailer, did a lot of work and then found out they were conned into buying a stolen unit and the whole thing had to go back to the owner, with all of their work.

The checks are a good place to start. Leaks might be the reason it is stripped and no since doing anything until you are sure it does not leak. Certainly cleaning and etc and then waxing is a great idea. But make sure you have the inside braced good enough. Fiberglass trailers depend on the insides for structure. You may be missing enough that working on cleaning and waxing it might break the shell.

Then lots and lots of planning. No since doing work twice. Make sure you know what you want to do before you do it.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 AM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigangelman View Post
I just did another small fiberglass camper, I installed a high performance rooftop ac and separate gas furnace. Converted all the electrical to LEDs. I kept conventional battery. So I have all the propane, a gas generator and battery storage. I guess in my druthers, I'd go with a mini split heat pump, solar, liFE battery and inverter. I could have saved on a regular 120vac mini frig, hot plate, toaster oven, no rooftop ac, no furnace, no propane. Depending on where and when I traveled I might not take a all inverter generator along. I think mini split and solar power system would be simpler, less hardware and a longer term"fix".
Thank you for the recommendations. I haven't thought much about wiring, heat/ac, lights. This will be a good place to start when I get there. Solar would be great.
Gitchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #24

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
uff da? Norsk?
Oh yaaa
Old 06-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #25

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in Nashville View Post
MG53TD@hotmail.com.
We just did a 13 foot scamp, looks like you have a good start. I would start by taking it down to the fiberglass on the inside and giving it a coat of West System Epoxy on the inside to seal all the cracks and holes, Epoxy is easy to work with without the smell of the fiber glass you get at auto stores. I built a lot of the parts in our trailer and can send some pictures. Best, Ray Walker.
PS my Bride is from Duluth.
Great! I was planning to bondo a few small screw holes then I was unsure what to do next. I watched a video and the epoxy looks easy. What did you use for insulation/liner? Did it stick well to the epoxy?

Also, I am very interested in seeing your interior builds.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitchee View Post
Great! I was planning to bondo a few small screw holes then I was unsure what to do next. I watched a video and the epoxy looks easy. What did you use for insulation/liner? Did it stick well to the epoxy?

Also, I am very interested in seeing your interior builds.
We live in the south, Nashville Tn. So we didn’t put insolation in. Some people use bubble wrap with the silver backing. my phone is 252-695-0043 text me your number and i can send pictures. Ray
Ray in Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #27

MN
Ok. Frame is out. There is so much rust scale. I started wire brushing with the angle grinder. It is a satisfying task.

I hope the next post will be the finished frame.
Attached Thumbnails
20220630_210812.jpg   20220630_210826.jpg  

20220630_210829.jpg   20220630_210840.jpg  

Tags
trillium