Hi I'm Jamie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #1

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Trillium
Virginia
Registry
Smile Hi I'm Jamie

Hi folks. Joined this forum a while back in anticipation of possibly borrowing a trailer (1978 Trillium 1300) that has been in our family for three generations, since it was new. Trailer was originally owned by my grandparents in California, and It's now all ours on the East coast so we are getting into the learning curve and trying to figure things out. Starting with getting things basically operable and cleaned up and will go from there! My first questions will be about getting the interior lights working, and will go on from there. Nice to meet you all!
Jamie June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Lights

First off, you'll probably want/need a new battery. If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with Lithium.

Secondly, you'll need a charger to match the type of battery you choose.

I would then want to change out all the old original incandescent light bulbs with LED's.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #3

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
First off, you'll probably want/need a new battery. If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with Lithium.

Secondly, you'll need a charger to match the type of battery you choose.

I would then want to change out all the old original incandescent light bulbs with LED's.
Thank you! We have a battery we are going to try, if it doesn't work I guess we'll be shopping on a new one. Anybody have suggestions for interior LED bulbs to replace the ones in the original square fixtures?
Old 07-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #4

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
We did some small LED 12v pot lighting and love it. They are sleek and very bright.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Major items to check are the axle and the belly band. The refrigerator also is a concern. Best to convert to a 7 pin tow electrical connector - pre molded and use the nice 7 lug distribution connector box both available on Amazon. Rewiring is not too complicated; I prefer using stranded number 12 tinned boat wire. Number 14 is good for lights. You may want to remove and reseal the windows and check the wood window backing for rot or desalination. One step at a time; they are great trailers.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
PS: just use new led lights if the plastic framed incandescent fixtures are brittle.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #7

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoyle View Post
Major items to check are the axle and the belly band. The refrigerator also is a concern. Best to convert to a 7 pin tow electrical connector - pre molded and use the nice 7 lug distribution connector box both available on Amazon. Rewiring is not too complicated; I prefer using stranded number 12 tinned boat wire. Number 14 is good for lights. You may want to remove and reseal the windows and check the wood window backing for rot or desalination. One step at a time; they are great trailers.

Thanks! Having stuff inspected and get some instructions on the appliances in a week or so just to make sure the axle and anything to do with the propane is safe, and hopefully to get a quick fix on the lights that don't work, and to see if the refrigerator will work at all. There's a person about an hour away who upgraded her fridge and will sell me her old one if mine doesn't work. The trailer already has a 7 pin connector and a 2" ball so I guess maybe that was done when my grandparents had it. The belly band hasn't been done but there are no bulges and it was well siliconed years ago and kept indoors so I don't think there will be a rush on that or the windows right away. There is a very small crack over the back window with an old repair and that is the onnly thing that leaks very slightly so will give it some attention right away and look iinto putting up a carport.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:51 PM   #8

Virginia
Registry
Was cleaning the Trillium yesterday and saw a little paper corner sticking out from a mirror next to the door. It was (I think?) the original registration from when my grandparents bought our trilly in the 1970s! Pretty cool, I stored it with their other old stuff, brochure, receipt, ad they clipped from the newspaper with original price. Wish it had pictures of them, but still cool to find it!
Notably, my sister pointed out that the California registration abbreviated Trillium to Trium. I guess that's what it was registered with for a long time until my BIL caught the confusion that of course Triumph cars and motorcycles could have that same abbreviation, so the current registration is for a Trillium!
Old 08-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jamie, If you post a picture of that paper, then I would add your trailer to the Serial numbers on a Trillium Thread.

Though it should be noted that I have not updated that thread for quite some time, (umm... like four years).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:33 PM   #10

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Jamie, If you post a picture of that paper, then I would add your trailer to the Serial numbers on a Trillium Thread.

Though it should be noted that I have not updated that thread for quite some time, (umm... like four years).

Thanks, David, I'm already on there - have the numbers inside the closet door and on the little metal plate outside the front door!

Tags
trillium