BigFoot Vinyl Graphics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
BigFoot Vinyl Graphics

I think the BigFoot character is dumb looking. I pulled off two of the little ones today to see how it went. A friend was over who is a boat guy and he suggested that I pull all of the striping off. He thinks it will look better and I kind of agree with him.

One thing we both agree on is that the graphics will deteriorate in a few years and if they are pulled off then they will leave a shadow. So what do you think should I pull all of the graphics off and have a pure white trailer?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO all white trailers without any graphics kinda look like a cargo trailer. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I would just do want you want to do. You are correct that removing the decals now would eliminate the shadow in the gel coat later. In fact, when we removed the original 1988 decals in 2016, there was a noticeable difference in the feel of the gel coat, too, like everything not covered by decals had worn away a bit, leaving a thickness difference. By the way, we like the Bigfoot character!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I think it looks better with the graphics. Mine are badly cracked. I am thinking about removing the graphics then masking and painting them back on. Then just order new bigfoot character and the word bigfoot to put back on.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Never liked decals, and the very first thing I did the very first night after getting a campsite when I picked up the trailer, was to open a beer and go around the entire trailer and remove every stinking decal on my Casita. First, they aren't paying me any royalties to "advertise" their product, (yes, and their spare tire cover with their company name and logo and phone number on it went bye-bye as well.) Second, in the long haul, they will fade and crack and look ugly down the road. But by then, the damage has been done, and so most people who care what their trailer looks like, will eventually remove the now even more ugly decals because they are cracked and half peeling off. But, by then you've already allowed the damage to the gel coat to occur by leaving those ugly decals on too long to begin with. It's called "ghosting" and good luck getting rid of it after it happens.

I like the clean lines of the trailer without all that cartoon crap all over. It just looks neater to me.

Just me...
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1 (Small).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
I have recently removed the graphics from our 1988 B-17. I like the cleaner look. I was told the shadowing will go away in about three years. I have replaced the two little Bigfoot guys on the sides near the front. I ordered them from RV Tramp Stamps. They’re beautiful. I also ordered two larger ones for the front and back but I haven’t decided if I’ll use them yet. I may just go with some hippie looking flowers 🌸 or something more generic and more minimalist than the graphics that came with it.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
OK you sound like a Bigfoot friendly dude too. If you're interested I can get you the address of our Provincial Museum - because Bigfoot is a big part of our Provincial 'culture' they have some fun renditions, ball caps decals etc.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Sure. I’m near Seattle. Where is that museum?
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Never liked decals, and the very first thing I did the very first night after getting a campsite when I picked up the trailer, was to open a beer and go around the entire trailer and remove every stinking decal on my Casita. First, they aren't paying me any royalties to "advertise" their product, (yes, and their spare tire cover with their company name and logo and phone number on it went bye-bye as well.) Second, in the long haul, they will fade and crack and look ugly down the road. But by then, the damage has been done, and so most people who care what their trailer looks like, will eventually remove the now even more ugly decals because they are cracked and half peeling off. But, by then you've already allowed the damage to the gel coat to occur by leaving those ugly decals on too long to begin with. It's called "ghosting" and good luck getting rid of it after it happens.

I like the clean lines of the trailer without all that cartoon crap all over. It just looks neater to me.

Just me...

Thanks! I thought I was going to be alone in this. I worked all day and all that is left is one side of the cargo box and the front window cover. The production date is 3/2020 and there was already a faint shadow in a few places. The passenger's side was more difficult because it has been facing south for the past 2 months. I figured it was now or never. I'm glad I decided to do this. I'll post a photo in a few days.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Swoops!

This was a fun read.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/5/3/1852...-decals-swoops

Bigfoot no longer uses the swoops! Our 2005 decals are definitely showing their age. I do think the Bigfoot character is fun though!

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #11

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I like the Bigfoot character, until it fades. But everyone has their own style.

I personally agree that I don't like to advertise for companies, but I also think these trailers look a little naked when they're completely bare. If I had the funds and cared enough, I'd strip my trailer, paint it, and add some sort of basic, custom graphic, just to break up the all-white trailer sides and back. But I'd probably also throw a bigfoot in there somewhere, even if it wasn't the same character design Bigfoot uses.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #12

Name: Bob
California
I am an industrial designer who for years specialized in color and graphic for powersport products, ATVs motorcycles, watercraft and side by sides.

I hate the current crop of graphics on RVs although my 2000 Bigfoot’s graphics are just on the edge or not totally sucking.

I have at times though about taking the existing graphics and modernizing them.

As for the bigfoot, I have a love hate relationship with the little guy.
I like him a lot more than most bigfoot drawings you see. But there’s some serious issues from a graphic design stand point with the characters design.
And the form language used to design him is really dated but not in a cool retro way, just in a poorly designed way.

The new current crop of “new” graphics is going to be tired very quickly since its falling into like three camps
Retro solid lines (think the big W line from older Winnebagos)
Mountain and or tree silhouettes
Topo lines.

It is as if the designers in the industry are incapable of thinking about something cool so they just fall back on something.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

Name: GG
Illinois
Totally agree. Don't like the Bigfoot character. Removed the entire decal from the front---lots of work. Left a ghosting which no amount of elbow grease and compound/polish can remove. Bummed! I'm considering buying a large decal of my own design to cover up the shadow. I did successfully remove the decal on back spare tire cover and replaced in with one of my own design. Looks good. If I had my choice, I'd have no decals whatsoever.
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #14

Name: Bob
California
For those that like your graphics and want to keep them looking good.
Your best bet is to keep them clean and waxed frequently.
I like 3M or Mequires products.

Most of the main producers of vinyl for outdoor decoration and decal only test to about 5 years of UV exposure. After that the substrate may start to break down
So keeping the rig covered will also help tremendously.

If you go with replacment graphics make sure the base material is made by either 3M or Avery. And make sure you are getting outdoor rated UV stable graphics.

Some sign shops will not tell you what you are getting. Unless you ask and specify the material you want.

Also the custom ink jet printed graphics will not last as long as a screen printed color.

If you wax the surface before applying new graphics it will easier to remove the old graphics a few years down the road.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Done

Here is my naked BigFoot.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200522_15_27_49_Rich.jpg  
Old 05-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I think it looks great without any decals. Nice clean lines.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I think it looks great without any decals. Nice clean lines.

Yours looks great too. I may put some kind of graphics on the front window guard. If I ever see something I really like.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Well now you will have people asking you what brand of trailer is that. On all the new Bigfoot,s since Grant started the company, he himself told me that he uses the best material there is for all his decals. In the older years it was always a hit and miss, some years were good and some not. I have a 1999 Bigfoot and the decals look just great, no chipping,cracking or fading. As for your naked Bigfoot, A big Nope. Also you should be proud that you own the best they make and not wanting to have the decals on? Oh well different strokes for different folks.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Thomas! What's that logo on your cap?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #20

Name: Derek
British Columbia
The museum is in downtown Victoria. Officially the Royal B.C. Museum. The museum is closed but the gift shop is doing a booming online business. It's a non-profit volunteer run outfit. You can reach them at... https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/pl...it/shop-online
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, vin