Catalytic or Buddy portable indoor propane heater for Scamp 13 - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 AM   #101

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I thought this was a forum open to discussion and where one can express their honest sincere opinion

Evidently Not !!!
It is!

Rather than your constant negativism please debate the facts. That would be constructive.

OTOH, this thread is about USING a "Catalytic or Buddy portable indoor propane heater for Scamp 13. How many times does one have to post their opinions of the safety issues? How many times in this thread have we heard the same safety issues, over and over again. The Wave and Buddy have been used in campers for years. Anything used improperly is dangerous. We live in a dangerous world.

I'll try to post my new experiences and some additional facts tomorrow to help those interested in using a portable indoor propane heater. We're currently camping in Callville Campground near Las Vegas.
Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #102

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I’ve now positively seen the light , you are 100% correct
I apologize for wasting your time and now this question is settled forever
OTOH . Hopefully the weather is good in Nevada
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #103

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Whew!... Glad that's settled
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #104

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
The following is for those who are interested in using a Buddy, Wave III or Martin portable heater in their camper:

I guess I have to preface this from now on. We use adequate ventilation and have two CO detectors in our Escape 5.0. The Escape 5.0 has about 175 sq/ft or about 880 cu/ft of space to heat. So it's probably double or more than a 13' Scamp. We've owned a Scamp and Casita and they weren't exactly air tight. Our Escape 5.0 5th wheel is much tighter.

The cold air coming in from a 1/2" crack in the windows and leaving our roof vent to the camper pales in comparison to the heat exhausted by our conventional furnace. Not even close!

End of preface.

We camp without services as much as possible. When we don't get enough solar to keep our batteries above 12.2 v we will be using the Martin at night. We've had the sail switch in our furnace quit working four nights below 35 degrees and two of those nights were below 20 degrees. That was when we realized we needed a backup plan.

The Buddy heater is only a radiant heater whereas the Wave and Martin are catalytic and are slightly more efficient. However the following is based on equal efficiency.

The Buddy heater at 9,000 btu's on high or 4,000 btu's on low is too big to run in our Escape all night. We've tried the Buddy, but it's just too hot. The Wave III or Martin heaters put out about 3,000 btu's on high or 1,600 btu's on low. In other words either the Wave III or Martin on low use less than 40% of a Buddy on low. Which means they use only 40% of the oxygen and put out only 40% of the CO that a Buddy can.

Some have said the Buddy stinks. When our's starts to stink we'll throw it out and get a new Buddy. We've easily used our Buddy 100 nights/mornings and it still doesn't stink. I wouldn't trust a stinking Buddy in our camper, since that tells me it's not burning the LP efficiently. I've had fish house friends who have thrown their Buddys after a few uses and those who have had non-stinking Buddys for years. Quality control and owner's keeping their Buddy's clean or throwing them around have a lot to do with the life of a Buddy.

After arriving home to a cold camper, we initially warm our Escape with the Buddy and then turn it off. Besides taking it to a shower to come out to a warm shower area, that's the only uses for our Buddy now.

We've used our Martin two nights now, all night. It's just not big enough to quickly heat the camper. However, the first night (40 degree low) was at 3,000 btu's and I had to get up in the middle of the night and turn it to low. The second night (45 degree low) we set the Martin to 1,500 btu's (low) and woke up to about a 55 degree camper. It worked perfect.

I realize there are some here who are uneasy about using an indoor propane heater and that's OK with me. However, this thread is about using a propane heater. By now in this thread we understand the need to vent and possible CO issues.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #105

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Propane heating

Day 4 of using our wave 3 heater with venting. Even with the heater and 2 burners going for cooking everything good. No alarms going off!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #106

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Newbie here. On a similar thread, the furnace in my soon be Bigfoot B19 died a couple of years back, and the seller installed a ventless propane heater. Which is fine for a quick 10 minute warm-up of the trailer, but I certainly wouldn't want to run it overnight. Now from what I can find (not a tonne of info on the B19's) the original furnace was the Everest HydroFlame II (16,000 BTU). I have a line on 2 - model 8012 - (one new, one 3 years old and pulled from a wreck) 12,000 BTU. They appear to be identical from what i can see on dimensions. Any reason why I couldn't swap in the 12K for what was a 16K BTU? I would rather have an actual furnace, vented and protect the plumbing as well. Price on each of them is very good compared to new retail (when you can find one!). Thanks for your help.
They are complete with thermostat and external vent fixture. BTW

Edit: Actually, from what I am able to find, this model 8012 is designed for front discharge only. Wouldn't help me with the "keeping the plumbing warm" issue. There does seem to be a cover that can allow it to discharge to the sides, but that might be more trouble than it's worth at this point. But, if it fits (looking for dimensions right now) it would be a great option for just keeping the trailer warmer if it does start dipping down into the single digits at night (Canada )
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #107

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
furnace

sounds like a good plan as long as it fits and heat can be directed properly. BUT do get someone to install that knows what they are doing. Get rid of that ductless heater. Also install a new dual propane/CO detecter as they are only good for 10 years and should be marked on the unit . Old stock sitting in a box is no good.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
Also install a new dual propane/CO detecter as they are only good for 10 years and should be marked on the unit . Old stock sitting in a box is no good.

Propane detector doesn't deteriorate until it is hooked up to electricity. That's when the clock starts, not from date of manufacture.
I got this information from the distributor of my propane detector.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #109

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
detectors

Then best to go with manufacturers recommendations .
https://www.motorhome.com/tech/safety-alarms/
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #110

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
sounds like a good plan as long as it fits and heat can be directed properly. BUT do get someone to install that knows what they are doing. Get rid of that ductless heater.
Got a NIB Atwood furnace coming - direct replacement - plug 'n' play; all of the wiring is still in place in the space under the cabinets; I will get an RV gas-fitter to do the LP connection (it's all there too, but I'd rather someone that plays with LP for a living deal with it.

I will bring the propane heater into the garage for working in the winter - PLENTY of air ingress there! Lots of time to work on the motorbikes then, just gets too cold to do anything
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, scamp