Scamp Cover and Wash & Wax - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Scamp Cover and Wash & Wax

Funny that I’m following up two threads about washing, waxing and covering a trailer. I just washed our Scamp, waxed it twice ( first with Meguiar’s Clean and Wax and then with Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Fiberglass Wax, like Jon recommends) and then covered it for the first time with our new CalMark cover. Our trailer has spent six years exposed to Sacramento rain and intense summer sun and is now finally protected. We hope it is happy. Only wish we could use it.

CalMark is closed, like so many other businesses. We ordered just in time and our cover was finished by the only employee still working, the foreman, and shipped by the owner.
Attached Thumbnails
74277A9F-B63A-4736-9629-7AE2C4A58046.jpg  
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: STAN
Trailer: In the market
BRENTWOOD
Smile Do you like your new cover

How do you like your new cover. I want to order one for my 17' Casita. They are pricey.
Stan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Stan,

A little too soon to form an opinion but I think we’ll like it. It appears to be very well made. I feel good about protecting our Scamp, especially since we may not be using it for a while. It’s like it’s in a cocoon.

The opening for the door is well designed and should allow easy entry during hibernation. I plan to do a mod or two inside in the next year. Just before covering it, I put it on jack stands to spare the axle.

Not cheap but hopefully we’ll get what we paid for.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #4

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Covers

M\y wife, who does not do ‘camping’, but who will do ‘glamping’, just bought me a cover for my 16’ Scamp. It is the model 3 PolyPro cover. Says it will fit either a 13’ or a 16’ camper. Don’t bother if you have a 13’ Scamp, unless you need a ballistic parachute in case you fly off a cliff. On my 16’, it fits like Grandpaw’s pants. About 3 to 4 ft too long. I had some extra strapping which allows me to tighten it up enough so that it does not ballon out in wind, but it looks a bit odd. On the plus side, it covers the whole camper, from hitch to spare tire, with space enough for a small family. I have been using the large Harbour Freight silver tarp, which covers quite well, but uses straps to hold it in place, which my wife finds distasteful. She say’s it makes the Scamp look ‘respectable’. I just need to get mine out on the road!!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
Oregon
We're considering getting a cover and need advice. We've had our 2005 Scamp 19 ft for a year and a half now, stored in an uncovered parking area next to our driveway in NW Oregon, and it came through the winter pretty mossy (and pollen residue, etc.). So we're thinking seriously about a cover, but I'm wondering if the cover will actually prevent moss or if it will cause other problems such as trapping moisture, which would add mildew to the problem. Anyone with experience with this? Or thoughts about best application of a cover? I was wondering about some kind of spacers to keep the cover from clinging to the trailer sides and allow air flow. Also wondering about circulating air between the cover and the trailer (we run a dehumidifier inside the trailer during the wet season).
Ottoscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I considered getting a cover cover for my trailer cover, but chose a good wax instead. Trailer is parked under a cedar and becomes green by spring. Only took a couple hours for my wife to wash it.
Attached Thumbnails
green roof 1.jpg   green roof 2.jpg  

Tags
scamp