Bunk vs dinette option for a new Scamp 13. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Bunk vs dinette option for a new Scamp 13.

Hi. I am looking to buy a new Scamp 13 (10 ft egg on a 13 foot trailer), and I would love to get some advice on whether to get the bunk or the dinette option for the front. Originally we were thinking dinette, but then have changed that to bunk option. So we are kind of on the fence and would love to hear other peoples opinions and/or experience with bunk or dinette. Also, any other advice is welcome.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
It would depend on whether you would be having any children with you at times.
I have seen a conversion by a member who took a front bunk, converted it to a dinette/bunk/shower (curtain enclosure), so he had the best of all worlds (situations). There are soooooo many types of RV’s with endless floor plans, because everyone has their idea of what works best for them, so only you can decide what will work best for YOU. Best of luck with your decision.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bunk vs dinette option for a new Scamp 13.

A factory front dinette is only available on deluxe (wood interior) models. Is that what you’re looking at?

They will build several variations of the no-bath 13’ deluxe. One is layout A shown on the website with front dinette and a storage cabinet in the corner next to the stove, which makes into a child-size bed. Two is the same without the storage cabinet, which makes into an adult-sized bed. Three is the sofa/bunks similar to standard versions.

It is also possible to take a sofa/bunk unit and modify it into a dinette in such a way that preserves the upper bunk for 3-way function (sofa, dinette, double bunks). You’ll have to do it yourself, though. Here what that looks like in an older 13’ standard. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	135711

I personally find the sofa more comfortable for sitting due to the angled backrest. A dinette, with small, slippery cushions and a bolt-upright backrest, isn’t comfortable for much longer than it takes to eat a meal. We usually eat outside, and if the weather isn’t cooperating, we set up the rear table.

I haven’t done it, but others have installed a Lagun swing-away table mount to eat at the front sofa without modification to the factory bench or cushions. That allows the rear dinette to be left as a permanent bed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A factory front dinette is only available on deluxe (wood interior) models. Is that what you’re looking at?

They will build several variations of the no-bath 13’ deluxe. One is layout A shown on the website with front dinette and a storage cabinet in the corner next to the stove, which makes into a child-size bed. Two is the same without the storage cabinet, which makes into an adult-sized bed. Three is the sofa/bunks similar to standard versions.

It is also possible to take a sofa/bunk unit and modify it into a dinette in such a way that preserves the upper bunk for 3-way function (sofa, dinette, double bunks). You’ll have to do it yourself, though. Here what that looks like in an older 13’ standard. Attachment 135711

I personally find the sofa more comfortable for sitting due to the angled backrest. A dinette, with small, slippery cushions and a bolt-upright backrest, isn’t comfortable for much longer than it takes to eat a meal. We usually eat outside, and if the weather isn’t cooperating, we set up the rear table.

I haven’t done it, but others have installed a Lagun swing-away table mount to eat at the front sofa without modification to the factory bench or cushions. That allows the rear dinette to be left as a permanent bed.
Thanks a lot Jon. I am going to think about all that.
"A dinette, with small, slippery cushions and a bolt-upright backrest, isn’t comfortable for much longer than it takes to eat a meal." This kinda makes me think I will not choose the dinette option.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
Hi. I am looking to buy a new Scamp 13 (10 ft egg on a 13 foot trailer), and I would love to get some advice on whether to get the bunk or the dinette option for the front. Originally we were thinking dinette, but then have changed that to bunk option. So we are kind of on the fence and would love to hear other peoples opinions and/or experience with bunk or dinette. Also, any other advice is welcome.
Traditionally, cargo and utility trailers have been measured by box length, while RV trailers have been measured from coupler to bumper... Thus the Scamp13.
With the advent of "toy hauler" RV trailers the distinction has begun to blur and so have the standards.
If you want to discover which makes sense, try putting a 12 ft utility trailer in a 12ft space. Then of course try and put 12ft of cargo on it!.
We have been shopping for a stick built for a family member lately and I must say you better read the specs and bring a tape measure 'cause they are all over the place.
Box length is certainly important for cargo while overall length more important for RVs. You do make a good point... its a 13ft RV trailer.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I notice that in subdivisions for housing that the "setback" often includes the porch, some only the foundation, and some the roof overhang.

Best to know before breaking ground!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
On our Scamp16D-A with front sofa/bunks, we installed a Lagun Table mount system to allow dining on a table while sitting on the front sofa. I think you should be able to find a spot for the Lagun bracket on most front-sofa Scamps ... ??
https://www.lagunusa.com/

There are a couple of pix of that table (before final staining/varnishing) in this Google Drive folder (no password needed) ...
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU

Best of luck on your decision(s)!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:01 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:

Jon, I asked scamp on Friday if they could build a dinette with full length bed (delete cabinet). I was told no. Kinda crazy. Seems like it'd be just a lower bunk sized dinette. I guess the only option is to buy bunks and cut out the base to create a dinette.

It is also possible to take a sofa/bunk unit and modify it into a dinette in such a way that preserves the upper bunk for 3-way function (sofa, dinette, double bunks). You’ll have to do it yourself, though. Here what that looks like in an older 13’ standard. Attachment 135711

Jon, I asked scamp on Friday if they could build a dinette with full length bed (delete cabinet). I was told no. Kinda crazy. Seems like it'd be just a lower bunk sized dinette. I guess the only option is to buy bunks and cut out the base to create a dinette.
cdcmgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:35 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcmgmt View Post
New management, new ideas, I guess. They seem to be moving away from the old semi-custom business model.

I do like the idea of 3-way function, in which case it’s better to start with the bunks. That means you could go with a standard if you wanted.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:57 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
New management, new ideas, I guess. They seem to be moving away from the old semi-custom business model.

I do like the idea of 3-way function, in which case it’s better to start with the bunks. That means you could go with a standard if you wanted.
I'm going to ask a different salesman. Also, I'm nervous about cutting the fiberglass on a standard. The edges would be rough, but maybe some of the plastic trim would resolve that issue. I can't seem to find dimensions of the front dinette bed, but it can't be suitable for anyone over 5ft. Thx
Old 01-07-2024, 11:52 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcmgmt View Post
I'm going to ask a different salesman. Also, I'm nervous about cutting the fiberglass on a standard. The edges would be rough, but maybe some of the plastic trim would resolve that issue. I can't seem to find dimensions of the front dinette bed, but it can't be suitable for anyone over 5ft. Thx
It might actually be easier to convert the fiberglass standard bench than the wood bench in the deluxe. The cutting part is easier with wood, but the reframing to provide necessary support might be harder. You will sand the rough edges and trim, yes.

Five feet or a bit less sounds about right. Child only.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I have a front bunk model--I used an ITC "Sequoia" twist lock floor mount for a table, and it works great. When I don't need the table (most of the time), I can stash it somewhere else.

The front dinette configuration seemed a bit tight to me, and like others have mentioned, the couch is really a more comfortable place to sit in such tight quarters.

Nowadays though, I usually leave the bunks set up full time--put in some screws to where it's safe to leave it set up while travelling. I put portable storage bins on the couch part, and other storage bins on the bunk part and have found the additional storage worth a lot more than the sitting space. There's only two of us, and the Sequoia table is useful while sitting on the edge of our bed just like it was from the couch. Most of our camping is spent outside, and the Scamp is for sleeping or eating in if the weather is absolutely terrible. We put up an EZ Up with or without walls behind the trailer, and that's our living room. Scamp is the bedroom.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:01 PM   #12

Colorado
Thanks so much for the responses gang. Lots to consider. I like the floor mounted table leg support. Maybe a lagun table to swivel a table for two, or a TV dinner table with legs tucked under the storage cubby. I've seen options for that in my searching.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:04 PM   #13

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Our old '79 Boler was converted from Bunk to Dinette. There's only the two of us and this works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (9).jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:28 PM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
Our old '79 Boler was converted from Bunk to Dinette. There's only the two of us and this works well.
That's nice and functional looking. Is the arm holding up the gravel shield a factory option on bolers? It's a great idea
Old 01-09-2024, 07:09 PM   #15

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Those arms were on our unit when we got it. I've reworked them to improve the locking and setting adjustment screw. I'm thinking that I've not seen them any other Boler...
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp