Scamp Remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
Scamp Remodel

Hi, I have never remodeled anything! I am hoping to redo the inside of my 1973 Love Bug Scamp. The frame, axle, tires all are good. I will paint the outside once the inside is complete. My question is where to start? Do I need to pull everything out and start from scratch?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3960.jpg   IMG_3961.jpg  

IMG_3968.jpg   IMG_3974.jpg  

GMA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To upload pictures, use the paper clip icon. If you don’t see it, click “go advanced.” Photos need to be .jpeg, not .png. After you choose the files and hit upload, wait until the screen refreshes and the photos appear in your attachments list before posting your reply. It may take a while if your files are large.

As to disassembly, it all depends on what you’re trying to do in the renovation. If the floor is sound and the wall lining mostly intact, you should be able to refresh the interior without tearing it apart.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Thank you for the help loading photos! It worked

As for the interior, you can now see that the liner is cracked and the door needs help. The floor has already been done before I got the camper.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Looking at the door tells me that there are structural problems that need to be addressed before anything else is done.
The sag in the door indicates that the shell is warped and that would be because the floor is rotten or the frame is broken or twisted.
Find out the reason for the misalignment and fix that first.
Also if the axle has not been replaced already (maybe twice) it should be tested and probably replaced.
The shell has numerous cracks and damage evident and this has to be fixed as well.
My question is if this economically repairable as there a lot of damage evident just from the one picture of the outside.
It appears that there are numerous cracks and splits at the door.
If the seller told you this was structurally sound I would not believe anything else he told you either,
The axle is at least not original as it is a five lug axle with brakes.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Hi Rebarron55,

Thank you for your reply and help.

I am thinking I have taken on too much of a job! The shell is cracked by the upper right side of the door. I am assuming that is why the door is hanging crooked. The inside has several cracks in the lining. I know the vent on the roof needs replacing or sealed as it leaks. I just pressure washed it the other day and the outside cleaned up nice. It does need a paint job. I know the axle and floor have all been redone by previous owner.

Without experience in fiberglass and trying to redo the whole interior, I am leaning on selling it. Not sure. I bought it knowing all of this and thought it would be something I could do.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I believe those blocks that the door hinges are sitting on are not original.

Overall, looks like a really big project. Do you have a covered area to store it while you are working on it? Do you have a lot of spare time? I'd be inspecting the frame carefully, door sag and crack above the door are symptoms.

You say the frame is good. Based on what? Roof kind of looks like the front curb side corner has sagged a lot.

+100 I would not believe anything seller told you. I would verify everything through very close inspection.

To the right person and the right price, this could make a good project. Picking the right project that fits your skills and budget is always key. A good project for one could be a nightmare for someone else. A few years ago, I passed on a Hunter Compact project. Price was very attractive, but it needed too much work for me. I'm sure a more capable person went for it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
That camper could make an amazing rehabilitation story. It will take a lot of effort.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Hi thrifty bill,

I actually know the previous owner and he did point out all the things needing done. I thought it would be a great project to restore this camper. But after further review...I am way over my head.

I do have an indoor area in my barn that I store it in and can work on it. I just don't believe it's something I can do myself anymore. Someone that has that ability can do wonders with it. This is way over my skill level.

I appreciate your input.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Hi Markz,

Yes, I agree that someone could really do wonders with this camper.

I have realized it's not me. Good intentions, but it's way over my skill level to even try

Thank you for your response.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp Remodel

I’ll have to agree. I suspect this one probably needs a frame-off rebuild, but at the very least replacing some of the sub-floor, requiring disassembly of the interior.

In the hands of the right person it can be made like new again. It’s good you realized now you are not that person.

Best wishes finding someone to take over this project, and I hope you are able to make a fresh start on finding one for yourself if that’s still the plan.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thank you Jon in AZ,

I too am glad I didn't get to far into it to realize it's too much for me. I am looking forward to finding this camper a new owner that can redo the whole thing and make it look new again.

I have starting searching for a ready to camp scamp! I love the scamps and want to keep it smaller to I can pull it with my van.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #12

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’ll have to agree. I suspect this one probably needs a frame-off rebuild, but at the very least replacing some of the sub-floor, requiring disassembly of the interior.

In the hands of the right person it can be made like new again. It’s good you realized now you are not that person.

Best wishes finding someone to take over this project, and I hope you are able to make a fresh start on finding one for yourself if that’s still the plan.

Jon is absolutely right. The right person to do the restoration may not have the skills when they begin, but will be willing to acquire the needed skills as they go.

In my opinion any such restoration needs a person who loves the challenge, and has the time -- and money -- to do it to a standard of which they can be proud.

Such restorations, if they are done right, are seldom economical -- if reselling at a profit is a consideration. In fact, even ignoring their labor, breaking even is very unlikely, even with Scamps, which usually have high-resale values.

Recognizing that you aren't that person is extremely smart.

Good luck in your search for a more suitable trailer for your camping adventures.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA5 View Post
Thank you Jon in AZ,

I too am glad I didn't get to far into it to realize it's too much for me. I am looking forward to finding this camper a new owner that can redo the whole thing and make it look new again.

I have starting searching for a ready to camp scamp! I love the scamps and want to keep it smaller to I can pull it with my van.
Good for you, Cheryl!
It's hard to admit that you have bitten off more than you can chew, especially in a public forum with a bunch of people with way more experience and skills. I too bought a camper to rebuild and it really stressed me out, especially when friends would ask about the progress. I ended up getting a Scamp that someone else had restored, and while it cost me way more, I am way more relaxed and excited that I was able to use it right away. There are small fixes that I have had to do (drawer re-builds, fawcet replacements, better storage, etc) but because I knew how to do them, they were a joy, not a curse.
Scamping should be fun, not a source of stress.
Good luck.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

Wisconsin
Thank you

Thank you Linda for your kind words. I appreciate them and you. I will be looking for my scamp that is camping ready! Like you, I can do some fixing, just not a total redo.

Tags
scamp